Upgrading to VS/Lightswitch 2015 from 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• My apologies if this topic has been done to death (by all means point me to relevant links if so) but I just took a first stab at upgrading my VS 2013 lightswitch project to 2015.  

I installed VS 2015 professional on a new box with the required office toolkits, Azure packages and anything else that I thought would be needed.  I then downloaded my Lightswitch solution from my Git repository.

After doing the initial solution conversion and updating NuGet packages, when I open the solution I immediately see a dialog telling me the Application metadata has been modified out of the designer and to hit the 'reload' button (shown in the dialog) when done finishing my changes.

What changes is it referring to?  I tried hitting the refresh button a couple of times for the heck of it, but that didn't accomplish anything.  And when I try to clean and build the solution the build simply runs forever, and I can't stop it without killing the VS process.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Saturday, January 2, 2016 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim Bancroft,

You need to make sure the project can built successful in VS2013 before you upgrade it in Visual Studio 2015.

Please install all extensions which used and referenced in project 2013 for Visual Studio 2015. If some extensions referenced in project but not used, please remove it from your project before you upgrade.

Please refer to following blog which introduce how to upgrade your LightSwitch project. Hope it can help you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2013/08/12/upgrading-your-lightswitch-projects-raghuveer-gopalakrishnan.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, January 4, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei.  Part of the problem is that to the best of my knowledge, I have installed all of the required packages-- in my solution, each project has all the references it needs (no yellow exclamation marks next to any of them) and I ran a full  NuGet update before trying to build.

I was careful to check the boxes next to any VS 2015 item I thought I would need when I installed Visual Studio.  But when I build the desktop or server applications (not the HTML client, which builds fine) the build simply hangs and I have to kill VS.

Also, in my server project I get all sorts of errors, red underlines and such, on any of my entities-- VS is telling me it can't find the definitions for my entities.

The VS 2013-->VS2015 upgrade log doesn't show any errors and said it things went through successfully.  Is there another logfile I could look at to see what may be going on? 

As for my original message, what does it mean to see that dialog stating the application metadata has been modified outside of the container?

Monday, January 4, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Hi, Jim,

Try deleting the *.suo file and the *.lsxtproj.user files in the root of your solution before opening it in 2015. The other thing that used to cause this problem for me was not having the HTMLClient\Properties\Client.lsml and Proxies.lsml files stored in my repository.

Other *.user files may also be problematic, as well as the ModelManifest.xml file.  Since most of these get rebuilt or overwritten when the solution is built, I'd make a fresh clone from your repository and try deleting/recreating these first.

Regards,

R. T. Watkins

Monday, January 4, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Thanks R.T., I'll try that tonight and report back.
    Monday, January 4, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Well, I re-cloned my github repo and deleted the *.suo and lsxtproj.user files as well as the ModelManifest.xml files and made sure the Client.lsml and Proxies.lsml files in both the DesktopClient and HTMLClient projects were the same as in my VS2013 project. 

I then upgraded the project to 2015, but same thing as before, building either the Server or DesktopClient project just hangs and I have to kill Visual Studio to get out of things-- cancelling the build doesn't accomplish anything.

Is there a build log I can look at further to see why the compilation is hanging?  I'm also open to any other suggestions.  The migration once again went through with no errors, but a few warnings, that appeared to be more informational than anything.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 6:04 PM
  • You could try changing the project build output verbosity to Diagnostic as covered in the following Dave Kidder blog post: -

Crank Up Your Visual Studio Build Output to 11

This may provide a clue as to the problem area.

HTH,

Chris

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:35 PM
  • Thanks for Dave's link.  When I do a rebuild with the diagnostic flags set, this is the last portion before it just sits there in an infinite build state:

Target "EntityClean" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(EntityDeploy)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '').
    Target "LSClean: (TargetId:13)" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\LightSwitch\v5.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.Build.Tasks.targets" from project "E:\Downloads\hindsight3\Hindsight2\Hindsight2.DesktopClient\Hindsight2.DesktopClient.csproj" (target "Clean" depends on it):
    Using "LSCleanTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\LightSwitch\Microsoft.LightSwitch.Build.Tasks.dll".
    Task "LSCleanTask" (TaskId:14)
      Task Parameter:IsBuildingInsideVisualStudio=true (TaskId:14)
      Task Parameter:ProjectGuid={F172D2AD-B9EC-49BE-9D66-6C8849FD75DB} (TaskId:14)
      Task Parameter:LightSwitchProjectType=Client (TaskId:14)

Unless I restart VS, it'll remain this way until the power runs out.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:13 AM
  • HI Jim,

From your description above, generally it's recommended to clean and build it first.

Before Upgrade starts, a backup of the current project is made and stored in Backup folder located at the same level in the project folder as the solution file (.sln). The user file settings (.suo file) is also backed up.

I'd also like to suggest you to install .net framework 4.6, and re-upgrade your application.

hope it helps.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:30 AM