none
Reading data from an MS Project file without opening it. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am looking for some guidance on reading values from an MS Project file without actually opening it.

Basically I have a static MS Project File made up of multiple separate project plans and I want to read in the Start, Finish and PercentComplete values from each of those files into the static master, but if possible I don't want to open each file each time if that is possible.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Tony

TKHussar

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can't read data from a .mpp file without opening it first. The solution I use is to use a VBA macro to create a new static master each week. This provides a great snapshot for audit purposes and for reporting across all sub-projects.

If your only solution is to read in dates, then VBA can open each file and read in whatever you need.

Alternatively you can use VBA to write data for reporting uses to a database then read that data into your master as required.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Friday, March 18, 2016 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by TKHussar Friday, March 18, 2016 4:29 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi TKHussar,

This forum is used to discuss about Office developing, your issue is more related with MS project, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=project2010custprog

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Hi,

You can't read data from a .mpp file without opening it first. The solution I use is to use a VBA macro to create a new static master each week. This provides a great snapshot for audit purposes and for reporting across all sub-projects.

If your only solution is to read in dates, then VBA can open each file and read in whatever you need.

Alternatively you can use VBA to write data for reporting uses to a database then read that data into your master as required.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Friday, March 18, 2016 4:14 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation Rod.  I was just looking to try and speed up the macro by not actually having to open each plan multiple times.

Thanks

Tony

TKHussar

• Unmarked as answer by TKHussar Friday, March 18, 2016 4:29 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 9:37 AM