SSMA v5.1, Sybase ASE to SQL Server 2008 - code/sql formatting options? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just starting to play with SQLServer Migration Assistant for Sybase (SSMA), testing with a few objects only at first.

One thing I noticed is that when a Sybase Stored Procedure is converted, it can look quite different once it gets to SQL Server. For example:

- column names in the SELECT and WHERE clause are now prefixed with the schema.table name
    - commented lines reformatted
    - indents removed or increased
    - blank lines removed or added
    - carriage returns removed or added

I took 1 sample stored procedure and converted it.  Although there were no Errors, there were 19 Warnings. According to the new comments inserted into the new proc by SSMA, these are are simply warnings about the new error code for the RAISERROR, so I'm ok with that.

However, when I executed this proc in Sybase, I got a result set.  In SQL Server, I did not.  As expected, I'm guessing that most of the time for the conversion project will be involved with testing.

I had to then compare the original Source code with the Target source code to trace down the different behaviour.  But because of all the reformatting, I didn't find this easy.

Does anyone know if these kind of formatting options can be enabled/disabled within SSMA?

Thanks for any info/advice!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hi suburbanite2,

T-SQL statements between Sybase ASE and SQL Server can be different. There are partial or no support commands on SSMA while convert them from Sybase ASE to SQL Server, such as RAISERROR, which is a partial support command. In these cases, you may need to try the suggestions in the Guide to Migrating from Sybase ASE to SQL Server 2008 white paper to work around these type os issues.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:12 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 8:40 AM