none
One or more of the properties in the response could not be deserialized RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I’m trying to consume a vendor supplied SOAP call.  Most of the time, the response is quick and works as expected.  Occasionally, when invoking the service, I receive an error titled “One or more of the properties in the response could not be deserialized”.  Once I find a request that results in the error, I can recreate the error by passing the same request to the web service.

My hypothesis is that the vendor’s WSDL is not in sync with the data they are trying to send as the response.  However, the system hosting the service is a sealed black box to me and I’m at the vendor’s mercy to investigate the issue on the host side.  I can duplicate the issue using WCF Test Client. 

Any thoughts on how I can develop a workaround while I wait for the vendor?  The soap client runs in asp.net on server 2012 and is written in c# / framework 4.5

Thanks in advance.

• Moved by Fred Bao Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:15 AM WCF Related
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:05 PM

Answers

• Thanks, is there any partial workaround for deserialization issues?  For instance, if the web service should return a set of 6 items, and there is an error with one item, is there a configuration that will allow me to process the 5 good items?

Hi,

In WCF Service if we do not mark the [Data Member] in the datacontact, then the property will not be serialized.

For example if we use the following:

[DataMember]
            public bool BoolValue
            {
                get { return boolValue; }
                set { boolValue = value; }
            }

public string StringValue
            {
                get { return stringValue; }
                set { stringValue = value; }
            }

Then the StringValue will not be serialized.

But since you have no control on the service side, then it will be hard to do so.

Maybe you can try to check this thread:
    #Partial deserialization by using DataContractJsonSerializer:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15454761/partial-deserialization-of-json-object-by-using-datacontractjsonserializer .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Jay,

I move it to the WCF forum for getting better help.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:15 AM
  • Hello,

It seems that you have no control on the service. Then it will be hard to investigate the issue. And you have said that a request that results in the error. Then next time you can not post the same request.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Thanks, is there any partial workaround for deserialization issues?  For instance, if the web service should return a set of 6 items, and there is an error with one item, is there a configuration that will allow me to process the 5 good items?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:54 AM

Hi,

In WCF Service if we do not mark the [Data Member] in the datacontact, then the property will not be serialized.

For example if we use the following:

[DataMember]
            public bool BoolValue
            {
                get { return boolValue; }
                set { boolValue = value; }
            }

public string StringValue
            {
                get { return stringValue; }
                set { stringValue = value; }
            }

Then the StringValue will not be serialized.

But since you have no control on the service side, then it will be hard to do so.

Maybe you can try to check this thread:
    #Partial deserialization by using DataContractJsonSerializer:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15454761/partial-deserialization-of-json-object-by-using-datacontractjsonserializer .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:56 AM