Emulator Behavior with Touchscreen Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I've been developing for Windows Phone for 2 1/2 years on a laptop with a touchscreen (HP dv6t-SE if it matters).  I started with Win7, then Win8, and now Win8.1.  I'm using VS 2013 Pro. 

Until recently, the touchscreen has worked just as expected with the emulator.  Swipes, taps, tap/hold - everything.  But suddenly the past two days, when I tap/hold on the emulator surface, to pull up a context menu, or even to tap/hold start screen tiles to unpin them, instead of a tap/hold event, the laptop gives me a right-click event, with the square that would pop up if you do a tap/hold for right-click on a non-WP surface.

I have looked everywhere I can think of to figure out what setting may have changed, but this is driving me nuts, especially since I'm trying to use a context menu on my WP app for the first time.  If I turn off the right-click option in the touch settings of the PC, tap/hold on the emulator surface does nothing.  With it on, I get the right-click square. 

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-- Rich

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:11 PM

Answers

• Ok - so a restart later (I'd already tried restarting, and had also restarted a few times in the mean time), and it's back to working correctly. Weird. Thanks for all the input.

-- Rich

• Marked as answer by Rich Hopkins Sunday, November 3, 2013 2:13 AM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:22 PM

All replies

• Does this affect all emulator functions?

...like Tap and hold on a Tile on the home screen, to switch to tile management mode, or Tap and hold on the emulator skins back button to bring up the task list within the emulator.

-Eric.

Friday, November 1, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Tap/hold on the back button of the emulator works "almost" as expected.  The emulator works like you'd expect, bringing up the task list, but it also brings up the square that would be a context menu if there were a context menu assigned to the control.  Tap/hold on a tile on the start screen within the WP emulator doesn't work by touchscreen, but it does work with mouse.  With touchscreen, all it does is brings up that square that would be a context menu.  Watching the sequence of events on the back button, it looks like the tap/hold on the back button enables the task menu a matter of milliseconds before the context menu square comes up, while tap/hold on a tile does nothing before the context menu square comes up.  Also, releasing the tap while the square is up launches that tile's app.  It's as if the tap/hold of a tile takes longer to register than that of the back button. 

On the Win8 start screen, tap/hold on a tile works as it should - it puts the screen into the "customize" mode, and checks the tile, giving you the menu at the bottom of the screen to make whatever changes are allowed for that particular tile.  Also, here, I do not see the square that comes up that would otherwise be the context menu.

Weird...

-- Rich

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Interesting...

I tried this out on my laptop which also has Windows 8.1 but only has Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows Phone.  (i.e. not VS 2013 at the moment.)

I see the box you mention but it does not seem to interfere with the emulator in my setup.  If I disable press and hold for right-clicking then the box goes away... but still no change in emulator behavior: tap and hold behavior still works in the emulator.

One thing you might try is to increase the hold time required before the context menu appears.

However, based on the results I saw when testing this I am not sure that the problem is related to this right-click feature.

You mentioned this was working previously... do you recall installing any updates since the last time it was working?  If you're not sure you could check your Windows update history and the Setup folder in your Windows event logs.

-Eric.

Friday, November 1, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Ok - so a restart later (I'd already tried restarting, and had also restarted a few times in the mean time), and it's back to working correctly. Weird. Thanks for all the input.

-- Rich

• Marked as answer by Rich Hopkins Sunday, November 3, 2013 2:13 AM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:22 PM