none
Migrate BizTalk to GIT RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Our company is currently utilizing BizTalk Server 2009, our director asks us developer to move from TFS to GIT, using Visual Studio Online.  What I have found so far, BTS 2009 can't work in GIT since BTS 2k9 itself relies to VS 2008.  And he doesn't want to upgrade BizTalk to the latest version.  Is there a workaround to not upgrading BT version but can move BTS 2009 solution from TFS to GIT?

Thank  you for your answers,

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:18 PM

Answers

• When you ask for Git what Git provider are you looking for. There are many Git providers like GitHub, Bitbucket, Visual Studio Team Services etc.

You can port your TFS to VSTS and use Git in there. This would work fine with VS2008. You can put it on other git providers as well without any issues. For Biztalk , 2009 will reach end of MS support so ur setup will be running out of support . Ur business should be clear on this.

Pi_xel_xar

Blog: My Blog

BizTalkApplicationDeploymentTool: BizTalk Application Deployment Tool/

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, keep in mind, the two really aren't related at all.

There's nothing stopping you from putting BizTalk Server 2009 app source code in any repository. The only thing you might lose is Visual Studio integration.  That's very convenient, but not required in any way.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

In Jan 2013, Microsoft announced that they are adding full Git support into all their ALM products. They have published a plugin for Visual Studio 2012 that adds Git source control integration.

Alternatively, there is a project called Git Extensions that includes add-ins for Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012, as well as Windows Explorer integration. 

Another option is Git Source Control Provider.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

I think GIT is not supported for VS 2008 by MS and also BizTalk 2009 is near its extended support end and I would suggest you that it is better to move to a higher version of Biztalk like 2013 R2 where you can easily use GIT

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:34 PM
  • As I stated earlier, our company has no direction of upgrading BTS, since it is only in supporting mode now, we have no new development using BTS.  Our company is trying to get rid of TFS in general and to use GIT.
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Okay, as far as I know GIT is not supported for VS 2008. I would suggest you to get in touch with MS support team to get a more detailed solution to the issue.

Regards

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

In Jan 2013, Microsoft announced that they are adding full Git support into all their ALM products. They have published a plugin for Visual Studio 2012 that adds Git source control integration.

Alternatively, there is a project called Git Extensions that includes add-ins for Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012, as well as Windows Explorer integration. 

Another option is Git Source Control Provider.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:50 PM
  • When you ask for Git what Git provider are you looking for. There are many Git providers like GitHub, Bitbucket, Visual Studio Team Services etc.

You can port your TFS to VSTS and use Git in there. This would work fine with VS2008. You can put it on other git providers as well without any issues. For Biztalk , 2009 will reach end of MS support so ur setup will be running out of support . Ur business should be clear on this.

Pi_xel_xar

Blog: My Blog

BizTalkApplicationDeploymentTool: BizTalk Application Deployment Tool/

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, keep in mind, the two really aren't related at all.

There's nothing stopping you from putting BizTalk Server 2009 app source code in any repository. The only thing you might lose is Visual Studio integration.  That's very convenient, but not required in any way.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:32 PM
  • Git works at the file-system level, you don't need Visual Studio integration (although it is nice).

You just need to download Git for Windows and install that.  You can then use git as it was intended from the command line (which once you get used to it, is really far easier than the VS integration anyway).

Do a little reading on the concepts behind Git and you'll be fine, then stick this on your desk:

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:27 AM