Unable to create Shared Caching Namespace RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a new Shared Caching namespace, but I'm unable to because the "Create Namespace" option is always disabled (see screenshot). Is there some trick to this that I'm missing?

I'm on Silverlight 5.1.20513. Doesn't seem like a browser issue, but I tried both Chrome and IE10 just to be sure. 

Monday, September 30, 2013 10:22 PM

All replies

• hi Brian,

Thanks for posting!

From your description, I didn't make sure you whether purchase this service (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh697522.aspx).

If you didn't have subscription, I think you may purchase it firstly. If you have it, I suggestion you contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/ .

Thanks

Will
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Yes, I believe that's the service. It's the shared caching service that's been around for years, and was initially referred to as Azure AppFabric Caching. I've been signed up and using it for years now, I just needed a new namespace. 

But I just went back to the old portal, where you have to manage this, and I noticed that it says "creation of new caches is available only in the Windows Azure Cache Service (Preview)" feature. So basically MS has taken a working feature that's been in production for years, and crippled it in favor of a replacement that isn't even deployed yet. Which is just unprofessional and frankly bush league, in my opinion. Thanks guys. 

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:09 AM
  • The Shared cache service will be decommissioned on March 31, 2014.  Currently, the service is only for existing namespace.  New namespace should be create in managed cache preview, which will have the same SLA as Shared cache.  The new managed cache is cheaper, fast, and have more feature then the Shared cache service.  The following is the document on migrate from shared cache to managed cache preview:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/dn386110.aspx.
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:52 PM
  • "New namespace should be create in managed cache preview"

You know, I would love to do that, except that I can't. Instead I have to request access to the Preview and wait for it to be approved. So far I've been roadblocked on that for 3 days and counting. 

"which will have the same SLA as Shared cache" (emphasis added)

That's great that it will have the same SLA, but it doesn't now, does it? So for now if I want an actual, supported, shared caching solution I'm completely out of luck, aren't I? 

The reasonable, responsible thing to do would be to leave the old service fully functional until the replacement is out of Preview. But that's not what was done, which is, as I said earlier, completely unprofessional. 

While we're on the topic, the page you linked to returns the ASP.NET default error page, because your custom error page also threw an exception. Nicely done. When did Microsoft decide to let the interns run everything?

Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hi Brian,

No sure if you can but... Have you considered In-Role caching also?

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Friday, October 4, 2013 2:39 PM