Cannot communicate with a smart card reader RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing a strange issue with smart card readers. Here's the environment:

• Windows 7 x64 (however, I've seen this happen with Windows 7 x86, as well as on Windows XP)
    • PC/SC card reader
    • The smart card service is started and the startup type is automatic
    • The card reader's driver is set up (the device manager says it is running properly)
    • The card reader is definitely in order, because it works well on another computer

Despite the above, an attempt to 'talk' to the reader fails with

8010002E (SCARD_E_NO_READERS_AVAILABLE)

What I tried and what didn't work:

• Restarting the smart card service
    • Restarting the operating system
    • disconnecting and reconnecting the reader
    • trying another card reader (I played with multiple brands: Gemalto, Omnikey, Athena, Dekart, ACS)
    • removing and inserting the card, and then another card, and then no card at all

Basically, the smart card service won't let me see the reader, even though the device manager reports that everything is alright.

I am also quite sure that the culprit is not in my software, because:

• The same program works well on other computers
    • I tried other programs that use PC/SC readers and none of them is able to detect the device

Based on the above, it seems to be a computer-specific problem.

My suspicion is that another process is accessing the reader exclusively, but I haven't seen any such program on the surface. Perhaps it is a background service or something else.

1. Which troubleshooting steps can I try?
    2. Can you suggest of a way to determine if there are other processes accessing the reader?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with several computers on Windows 7 x64. My smart card reder only needs drivers included in Windows. It works on several computer and not on others. I don't understand what is the problem ?

Any Idea ?

Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:18 PM