none
.Net versions included in OS service packs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was searching for availability of .NET Framework in operating systems, especially in client's OS, in OS service packs or delivery in automatic updated as HotFixes. I found only that:

• .Net 2.0 is part of Win Server 2003 R2
    • .Net 3.0 is part of Vista (and WinServer 2008) 
    • .Net 3.5 is part of Windows 7

I know that .Net framework can be downloaded and installed by user but I'm interested what the user gets without explicit manual installation.

1) Is there any .Net version delivered for XP in service packs or updates?

2) Is SP1 for .Net 3.5 delivered for Win7 in automatic updates?

3) What about .Net 4?

4)In System Requirements for .Net 3.0 is Window XP SP2 but for .Net 3.5 SP1 there is only XP without specification of Service packs - is SP2 or SP3 for XP required to install .Net 3.5 SP1?

If anyone could clarify it I would really appreciate it.

eXavier

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

no there isn't any .NET version delivered by MS in service packs.

Servicepacks for .NET-Frameworks are delivered through windows updates. You can download it manually also.

If .NET 4 in Windows 7 is delivered i don't know. I've installed it on my machine via Windows Web Plattform Installer.

Requirement for .NET 3.5 SP1 are

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP
    • Processor: 400 MHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Minimum); 1GHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Recommended)
    • RAM: 96 MB (Minimum); 256 MB (Recommended)
    • Hard Disk: Up to 500 MB of available space may be required
    • CD or DVD Drive: Not required
    • Display: 800 x 600, 256 colors (Minimum); 1024 x 768 high color, 32-bit (Recommended)

In the releasenotes aren't any points that appoint to SP2 or SP3.

I hope i could help you.

Regards

martinwy

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Hi eXavier,

For your concern, it is recommended to read the following helpful blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx
    This blog shows what version of .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS.

As far as I know, it seems that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not delivered via Windows Update on Windows 7.
    However, to know the exact answer, please consult it on Windows Update discussion group.

For the system requirements of .NET Framework, you might refer to:
    .NET Framework 4.0
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx
    .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww(VS.90).aspx

.NET Framework 4.0 is not included as OS component in any OS until now. 

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:52 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by eXavier Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Thanks a lot - the links describe what I was looking for. I wonder at Microsoft itself does not provide this summary info - it is important when defining minimal requirements for projects..

Best regards

eXavier

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Hi eXavier,

You're welcome.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:06 AM