none
Reduce size of message RRS feed

• Question

• A text file of 16390569 bytes in size on a Linux server is sent as part of a plain-text email message (with no added text on my part) to an Outook email recipient. The message size is 33,151,162 in Outlook. I saved the message to local disk and checked the binary file, the bulk of which is readable showing the exact text as in the Linux file, with this difference:

one line in the Linux file:

. . exported "XHU"."W_EHA_ENC_PATIENT_H_XHU":"SYS_P1444072"      0 KB       0 rows

one line in the saved .msg file (excluding the trailing ^M):

. . exported &quot;XHU&quot;.&quot;W_EHA_ENC_PATIENT_H_XHU&quot;:&quot;SYS_P1444073&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0 KB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0 rows<BR>

The added HTML entities constitute half of the characters, increasing the line length from 82 to 171.

How can I suppress these HTML entities when Outlook receives the message? I see that in Outlook Options, I have:

Save messages: Use Unicode format

So I unchecked it and tried again. It made no difference.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can't - Outlook stores all 3 flavors of the message body (plain, RTF, HTML).

Why not send the data as a txt file attachment?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:33 PM
  • Thank you. You mean Outlook stores the message body in 3 versions separately? I didn't know Outlook would do that.

My current version of the Linux script is sending the file as an attachment.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Yes. And updates them when either flavor is changed, so they are always in sync.

You can see the raw data in OutlookSpy - click IMessage button, look at the PR_BODY, PR_HTML, PR_RTF_COMPRESSED properties.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:29 PM