How to Differentiate between Windows 8 and 8.1 OS version. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 8.1 is coming in the near future month. I want to differentiate between these two version of OS as my Metro app need to differentiate between two OS version. Anyone please suggest some idea.

Thanks.

Friday, August 30, 2013 7:34 AM

Answers

• You can (once the store opens) provide separate versions for Windows 8 and for Windows 8.1. Users will automatically download the version matching the OS they are running.

In your Windows 8 version launch the external browser. In the Windows 8.1 version use the (much improved) WebView.

--Rob

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:14 PM

All replies

• Why does your app need to do this? 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:19 PM
  • i am facing problem with webview control for some site where i have to enter captcha. only work around is to launch external browser which is not a good user experience. i tested webview control in windows 8.1 preview version it is working fine there.

for this reason i will launch browser on windows 8 and webview control for windows 8.1 and above.

this is an important feature i have to release on windows 8.

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:03 PM
  • You can (once the store opens) provide separate versions for Windows 8 and for Windows 8.1. Users will automatically download the version matching the OS they are running.

In your Windows 8 version launch the external browser. In the Windows 8.1 version use the (much improved) WebView.

--Rob

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:14 PM