none
Autologon stops working RRS feed

• Question

• I finished my first WES7 project and delivered to the client yesterday.  They called immediately asking for the password to log into the system.  Autologon was set to one of the user account/passwords with a LogonCount of 10.  Before delivering the system, I rebooted the system more than 10 times just to make sure the LogonCount was reset during reboot.

The AutoLogon worked as it should each time for me but as soon as the client got a hold of the system, it stopped working.  What would cause this?  What am I doing or not doing that is making this happen?  Any ideas?   

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Is the customer image a clone of your master image?

Did you run sysprep with an unattended file to preserve autologon

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:15 PM
  • No - It's a one-off system.  I 'built' the project to bootable USB thumb drive and installed from there.  The autologon seemed to be working just fine using this method.  

I glanced at the sysprep info in your latest book but thought I could get away without it since it is a one-off system and I'm not cloning it. 

Since I posted this, I noticed that I had set autologon in both the specialize and oobe passes.  Furthermore, I had different user logins set in each pass.  I'm sure this would cause some kind of conflict but I did not see any problem from the dozen or so reboots I did with the system.  

It's a Murphy's law type thing where anything that can go wrong will go wrong...once the system is in the client's hands.

Noobie mistake on my part.  Should I be setting the autologon on the specialize or oobe pass?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:41 PM
  • The last pass should be the one that was finally in the system. Either pass is fine, but pick just one. I would go with Specialize.

Logon Count is new. I belive if you set it to 0, it shouldn't ever stop working.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Are you sure you didn't reboot just 9 times??

I had this problem earlier with AutoLogon, i know it stands in the documentation that it resets when you reboot but on our system it behaved like described in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221477#appliesto

i qoute:

"Each time the computer is restarted and the administrator is automatically logged on, the AutoLogonCount value is decremented by one until the count reaches zero. The automatic logon occurs only when the computer is rebooted, not when the user logs off. Once the AutoLogonCount value reaches zero, the AutoAdminLogon value is set to 0 (disabled), and the AutoLogonCount value in the Winlogon key is removed"

I know this is for another windows version, but this how our WES behaves. Can anyone test/confirm this??

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Don't know if Logonexpert tool is suitable for you but it's powerful one and should help with autologon in general
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I had this experience:

After 30 Days from the build the target (configured with autologon) required the password (a new password!)

After some digging I realized that the check "Password never expires" was unchecked !!

I suggest my customer to check the check-box and the problem has been solved.

(of course ... "Murphy's law" ... thas happened on Sunday morning when the customer was exposing the product in a important event!!)

Beppe Platania Windows Embedded MVP http://blog.bepseng.it
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:06 PM
  • What's the setting in ICE to configure this setting?  Thanks
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:53 PM
  • In the "Child elements" when you create an account there is not a variable dedicated to this settings :-( .

I had to drive my customer to set the variable by using computer/Manage/local User & Groups/Users/<UserName>/Properties/Password Never Expires. (of course you have to login in as an Administrator)

You can also use this command "wmic path Win32_UserAccount where Name='username' set PasswordExpires=true"

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:57 PM