Recommended way to unit test mobile cross platform C++ in Visual Studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm playing with the new Visual Studio 2015 to check its capabilities for cross platform development using C++ as coding language. I've seen several videos in Channel9 about this feature but I don't remember hearing in any of these a word about how to unit test such projects from Visual Studio 2015. Is there some recommended way to create unit tests for such projects?

I'm not sure I can use Visual Studio test projects for C++ to test the android library or the Windows Phone 8.1. If I add a new platform ARM to a test project of those, I cannot select in the platform toolset combo the values that I have for my libraries (Clang 3.4 and Windows 8.1 respectively). So it seems that such test projects are not addressed for cross platform c++ in VS2015.

I also have tried to make a second cross platform library project to contain the tests, adding there the Catch.h file from catch framework or adding the files from Google Test framework. My idea was to link each cross platform test library with their corresponding "production code" libraries. In both cases (catch and gtest) I have problems when trying to compile the test framework files (not sure if it is not possible or just my fault being new at C++ for mobile platforms).

Has anyone succeeded unit testing the cross platform c++ code in VS2015? How?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sorry about posting in the wrong place. I've added a similar topic in the Microsoft Connect portal you suggested:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/1120636

Regards,

Jorge.

• Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Monday, February 9, 2015 9:34 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Jorge,

Thanks you for posting in MSDN forum.

Based on your issue, since VS2015 Preview is previews for the next major release of Visual Studio, currently we forums don’t provide support for VS2015 Preview. So the product team would accept the suggestions or feedbacks for the VS2015 now.

So you can submit the feedback/suggestions to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding.

After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue. And I will help you to vote it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 6, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry about posting in the wrong place. I've added a similar topic in the Microsoft Connect portal you suggested:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/1120636

Regards,

Jorge.

• Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Monday, February 9, 2015 9:34 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:05 PM