Deleted WCF RIA Data Source and cannot add it back! RRS feed

• Question

• Please note, this is using the VS2012 version

Had an issue with my unwittingly adding code to the generated DomainService file.  Having shuffled it out to my own regular C# class, I mistakenly assumed that I needed to point the RIA Data Source in LS to the "other class" (excuse wrong term usage) - I'd seen 2 rows when I first added the Data Source, hence the misapprehension.

Having whacked the Data Source I now get a collision when I try to add it back, irrespective of what name I call the data source, "A method named 'MySP' is already defined. DomainOperationEntry overloads are not supported."

I think I may have hosed the LS Project!

Is there a recovery option, please?

Thanks for any help.

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:18 PM

All replies

• I've had enough!

Nuked the LS Project.

Starting over....

What a piece!!!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:51 AM
  • And THAT didn't solve it - same dumb message.

Where on earth does Microsoft stick that reference so I can drop a NUKE on it and get on with some work!

At this rate, I'll end up nuking my RIA Project, the LS Project, the entire VS2012 project folder structure, reinstall Windows, reboot two or three times more, tear out some more hair and then likely find I still have the same DUMB, UNINFORMATIVE, NO SOLUTION AVAILABLE message!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:09 AM
  • It pains me to hear that you're having so much diffficulty.

I assume you tried cleaning & rebuilding the solution (which contains both your LS project & the RIA service project, right)?

Sometimes, I find that's not enough. A LightSwitch project will sometimes get it into it's head that the sub-projects have already been "built", & even a rebuild of the actual LS project will not convince it otherwise.

The trick I use here, is to unload the LS project, then immediately reload it. If you watch the status line (at least in LS 2011) you should see the sub-projects being built). We really need a LS-specific "reload" button (or right-clicking the project file), like there used to be back in V1 B1 (I think), which would basicall do what the unload/reload does. These days the only time you see that button is if there's an error in the (or one of, in V2) LSML file.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:32 AM
  • I did a rebuild, build, clean, build, rebuild (not in that exact order but the clean was in there several times, as was the build and the rebuild) - in short, everything I could think of AFTER completely deleting the entire LS PRoject folder and subfolders and starting over.

I was stunned when, after simply closing VS2012 down, then reopening, adding a LS Project with nothing in it, rebuilding the solution, there, before my eyes was the very same message when I went to add the Data Source!

I may be forced to call Microsoft and burn one of my 2 MSDN free calls as this is just plain crazy.  Where on earth could Microsoft has stowed the reference so it is inoculated against deletion or cleaning?

I was going to save the minimal volume of code in my RIA Project, delete the entire content of the VS2012\Projects folder and start over today.  If that fails, I can only think that a call and a Connect issue are required.

I followed your advice to Unload and Reload - no dice, same stupid message.

So far, I've spent two full weeks ploughing through nothing but issues with LS V2 and am back at square one.  I used to say, "Never buy a Microsoft product until version THREE!"  Should have listened to myself...

• Edited by SAinCA Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:40 PM