VSS Upgrade / Migration Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking to test the VSS Migration Wizard from a VSS database with many projects.  When I run the wizard, it asks me to select a project.  It appears that I can only convert 1 project at a time?  is there a way to spin the entire VSS database in one shot?

TIA

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:45 PM

Answers

• In this case, TFS Team project is the target, and we can only specify one team project. All VSS project will be ported to the single team project. Each of them gets created a new folder in source control.

Since you have hundreds of projects in VSS, you can create multiple TFS team projects as necessary.  Remember, in each run, you can only port to one team project.

Does that sound clear?

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Yes, I assume you upgrade VSS to TFS 2012, in this case we can select all projects in one database at one time. If you could not get to it, please share a screenshot.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:24 AM
  • I can select all the projects, but then on the next step, "team project" it only lets me select 1 project.

If we use your screenshot for example,

$/databaseProject -> should be able to upgrade to a Team Project called $/databaseProject

$/vssproject1 -> should be able to upgrade to a Team Project called $/vssproject1

and so on...

Our developers have hundreds of projects in the database.  Do they need to be created in TFS before the upgrade???

Or am I just not understanding the software?  I am not an end user of VSS or TFS, I work with SharePoint.

I appreciate your help on this.

Ian

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:11 PM
  • In this case, TFS Team project is the target, and we can only specify one team project. All VSS project will be ported to the single team project. Each of them gets created a new folder in source control.

Since you have hundreds of projects in VSS, you can create multiple TFS team projects as necessary.  Remember, in each run, you can only port to one team project.

Does that sound clear?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:34 AM