none
Automatic project status date each time MS Project opens

Question

• Hello,

I am hoping you can tell me how Microsoft Project can automatically show the Project Status Date as the Current Date each time the document is opened? In excel it would be =Today(), is there a method to for the project status date to automatically reflect the current date as default (and only change to a set time if you specifically change it)?

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:54 PM

All replies

• The only way you could do this is with some VBA, however, if the status date isn't set (ie it's set to NA) then the fields such as Status are calculated using the current date, so maybe you can get away without setting it?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hi Ben, thanks for your speedy response. Sadly when I set the project status date to NA I notice that tasks in the future appear as late when it should be a future activity (using a BRAG indicator, B = 100% complete, R = task in the past, A = progress is behind on expected current date, G = task in the future or on-track).

I was worried that it may require some VBA, I have been searching around for a method to resolve my query. Basically Project Managers are forgetting to update the project status date, therefore assume they have less late (red) tasks than the reality. Automatically updating when they open will visible show which tasks are running late. 

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:12 AM
  • In my opinion (obviously), the very first thing that should be done before any task progress is updated is to check, confirm and adjust as necessary the status date, and then display it as a vertical red line on the Gantt chart (using format, gridlines). No update makes any sense otherwise.

Your PMs seem to be doing a lot of forgetting and assuming. If this was my problem, I would not be trying to solve it with VBA but would instead focus the cause of the problem and focus on training and discipline. But that's just what I would do.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Hi Seesom99,

The task status is working correctly for me with the status date - future tasks are set as "future", please see screen shot.

Are you using a formula to display the BRAG, perhaps this is correct.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Hi Trevor, Yes very true it is about project discipline and best practice. 
    19 hours 8 minutes ago
  • Hi Ben, Thanks again for the speedy reply. Yes, there is a pre-set formula for the BRAG, so it when setting the Project status date to NA the formula must not be able to work accordingly. IIf([Status]=0,"B",IIf([Scheduled Finish]<[Status Date],"R",IIf([Status]=2,"A","G")))

But I see what you mean about inserting a "Status" column. I could potentially use that and change the graphical indicators > within the custom fields. Not too sure how to reflect the "Status" column into the traffic light BRAG graphical indicator.  

18 hours 51 minutes ago
  • Hi,

I would rewrite as a switch statement for easier reading... 

Switch([Status]=0,"B",[Status]=2,"A",[Finish] < [Status Date],"R", etc....)

16 hours 31 minutes ago