none
VS Pro 2015 Hanging

Question

• I installed vs2015 Pro successfully (windows10) but when launching, it hangs on the splash screen.  Below are the errors in the log.

I was able to run devenv.exe /resetsettings and I get in but I immediately have errors:

CommonAzureToolsPackage did not load correctly.

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.ConnectedUserPackage did not load correctly.

When I click No on the popups I get an error that VS Stopped Working and I am in VS but it is locked. I am unable to click on anything.

Suggestions???

Thanks

<type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>LegacySitePackage failed for package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.ConnectedUserPackage]Source: &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected&apos; Description: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Client, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Client, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name: &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Client, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&apos;&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.Common.CommonUtilities.CheckAndResetUserTokenStorage(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.ConnectedUserPackage.Initialize()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.&#x000D;&#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.&#x000D;&#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.&#x000D;&#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].&#x000D;&#x000A;</description>
    <guid>{7F679D93-2EB6-47C9-85EB-F6AD16902662}</guid>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo></errorinfo>
     </entry>
     <entry>
    <record>26</record>
    <time>2016/10/15 03:38:42.027</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>SetSite failed for package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.ConnectedUserPackage](null)</description>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo></errorinfo>
     </entry>
     <entry>
    <record>27</record>
    <time>2016/10/15 03:38:42.042</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>End package load        [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.ConnectedUserPackage]</description>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo></errorinfo>

• Edited by TJCOLO Saturday, October 15, 2016 10:52 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi TJCOLO,

Thanks for your post.

How about running your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode) ?

Since the error occurred when lunching the Visual Studio. I think there should be something wrong with your Visual Studio 2015 Pro.

Please try to did a full repair of your Visual Studio.(Control panel->Uninstall a program, select the VS2015 and right click it and select repair). Or if possible, please install the VS2015 Update3, the latest update of VS2015.

If above suggestions still no help. I need you installation log file to troubleshoot this issue.

please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder.

Please upload the file to  https://onedrive.live.com/and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Thanks Xiao. I have tried all of those. SafeMode Hangs. Repair did nothing. I am using Update 3 and have uninstalled more that once. I have installed an iso version and also an exe version all from MSDN.  I will uninstall again and reinstall with vscollect and post back later.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled - log file is here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asq5xN65ZNKsiXlVzeQkzagc0EIh
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Hi SoftwareQA,

I checked your log and find there is much error information about the transform packages.

If you use the ISO to install the VS, have you checked its hash value before installing?

If not, please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290  to verify hash of the ISO.

VS 2015 iso files SHA-1 Values link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

Besides, in order to narrow down the problems of VS setup, there are some tips about installing VS:
    1. Disable anti-virus or anti-spyware software.
    2. Check windows update.
    3. Clear %TEMP% folder.
    4. Run the installer as administrator.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:32 AM
  • I have installed from the iso and exe all from MSDN subscription. I  have v2013 Ultimate installed with no problems and prior to that 2012.  

1. I will check the hash but the most recent install was from the exe. 

2. A/V not an issue

3. Windows 10 is Current

4. I will clear this and reinstall but I find this unlikely. I have installed many versions of VS over the years and have never had an issue. There are posts like mine all over the internet so this is not exclusive to me.

5. I am the admin on my machine.

Why are the files not loading/being found? Are these included in the 2015 version or were they located on another download?

Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:19 PM
  • Went through all the steps and reached the same conclusion.  Still hangs on load and the same errors in the log. At least it is consistent!
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

If you have tried the steps but still no help, I suspect the root cause is pending on your OS.

As you said that your OS is Win 10, I have meet some members who have problems about install VS after upgrading to Win 10.

Please see this similar issue and the solutions from TimVdG, enden, Björn Blissing and other community members looks reasonable.

TimVdG: repair the 2015 Visual C++ redistributables and restart the visual studio installer.

Enden: 9 solutions and see the detail information from the above website

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 21, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Went through a lot of these - uninstalls and reinstalls, checking file sizes, deleting registry keys, elevating permissions and no go. Sadly that thread is a year+ old so I would have hoped MS would have resolved those bugs by now.

What surprises me is that in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft I do not have TeamFoundation\T‌​eam Explorer directory. I managed to run devenv.exe /resetsettings but had the below errors when I got in. 

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.Connect‌​edUserPackage did not load correctly. The other was CommonAzureToolsPackage did not load correctly. On another attempt I had the same for Nuget. 

• Edited by TJCOLO Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:04 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hi TJCOLO,

Have you tried installed the VS2015 Update3? If not, try to install the VS2015 Update3, the latest update of Visual Studio.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:13 AM
  • That is what I am installing from the MSDN Downloads subscription page. As mentioned I have tried the *.exe and *.iso. 
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:54 AM
  • Hi TJCOLO,

Since the issue occurred when launch the Visual Studio. And you have tried repairing the Visual Studio, uninstall and re-install. I think the cause should not in your VS IDE. It may be related to the system environment.

If possible, please backup the files and restore the windows system.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, October 27, 2016 9:26 AM