Wish-list for Orcas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Now that I have a new account here, I wanna take the chance to post some kind of a "wish-list" for Visual C++ Orcas :-).

1) Intelisense
        Intelisense support for C++ got very much improved for the last
        release of Visual C++ 2005, but there are stil Problems with
        templates. typeparameters never get completet, or even listed,
        autocomplitation  of members seems not to work, only when
        *implementing* templates, not when using them, then everything
        works fine.

2) Multiple Projects
       When developing a solution Ioften need at least two Projects,
       one main - project, and one for testing, the Problem is, that the
       testig - project relies on the main project, or bette on it's
       objectfiles, maybe I"m dumb, but teh correct references such as
       include - paths and the paths to the objects and so on, must be
       set by hand, thats a bit anoying.

3) Autoadding copy - constructors and / or assignement operators.
       It would be very helpful if the IDE could generate such things,
       if I ask it for.

4) Code - Snipps
       Like in C# it would be very helful to have ready to use code - snipps,
       maybe I've overseen it, but I think such a feature does not exist
       for Visual C++ </p>

5) MSVC98CRT.dll
       Sorry, by now I don't really know the exact name of the dll, I mean the runtim - library used by VC++.
       The problem is, that from time to time the debug - version of the dll can not be loaded / found
       by the target application, I've never notices problems with the release - version, only with
       the one for debugging. Maybe this can be fixed too.

So, that are my favorite wishes, maybe there are some points, that could be
    useful for other users too.

Sorry for the pretty long post!

Best regards,
    Nicolas

Monday, April 9, 2007 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hello

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback/suggestions. I will send a copy to Bill Dunlap (http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=281987), our business manger, who is the most appropriate person to factor your feedback into our Orcas + 1 plans. For Orcas most of our features are planed, specified and implemented, you can read the specifications here: http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/04/10/visual-c-orcas-feature-specifications-online.aspx

Many of your suggestions are already on our Orcas + 1 wish list (and some where addressed with SP 1 and Orcas too) so I hope we will see marked improvements in most of these areas going forward

Thanks

Damien

Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi!

"1) Intelisense
        Intelisense support for C++ got very much improved for the last
        release of Visual C++ 2005, but there are stil Problems with
        templates. typeparameters never get completet, or even listed,
        autocomplitation  of members seems not to work, only when
        *implementing* templates, not when using them, then everything
        works fine. "

One thing, I've missed, the allready discused performance issues with intellisense in Visual C++.

Because this is a "wish-list", I wanna mention this here.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Hello

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback/suggestions. I will send a copy to Bill Dunlap (http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=281987), our business manger, who is the most appropriate person to factor your feedback into our Orcas + 1 plans. For Orcas most of our features are planed, specified and implemented, you can read the specifications here: http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/04/10/visual-c-orcas-feature-specifications-online.aspx

Many of your suggestions are already on our Orcas + 1 wish list (and some where addressed with SP 1 and Orcas too) so I hope we will see marked improvements in most of these areas going forward

Thanks

Damien

Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Hi!

Thank you for reading my post, and for forwarding my requests, but I noticed two more points regarding Codecompletion inn Visual C++ 2005 (maybe these shortcommings do exist longer)

It is possible that you let the IDE generate the signatures, of a member function, if there is a corresponding declaration somewhere else, but there are two things, that seem not to work:

1) It seems that it is not possible to generate the signature if the declaration refers to a free standing function

2) If I use default parameters inside the member function declaration, the generated signature for the definition contains this default-parameter too, which is not legal in C++. The compiler correctly complains about it, but the IDE, don't skip these default parameters, when generating the signature for the definition.

Maybe at least the second point (or maybe both) can be fixed for the next release.

Thanks && Best regards,

Nicolas

Monday, April 16, 2007 1:59 PM
  • Hi!

Please dubleclick to close tab..... I miss one important and easy feature. Doubleclick to tab to close it (I mean window tab in tab bar) like in IE and other applications.

Thanks,

Mario

Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Another quick upgrade that I would love to see is support in WinForms for placing code in both the header and implementation (.cpp) files. It would solve many issues and help speed up compilation. So many files need to recompile whenever I change a line of code.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Heres my wish list.

1. Intellisense.

Make the intellisense for my like the C# intellisense. Not like VB.NET where I have to do ctrl + space to bring it up.

It should automatically come up for me. When you add a new include to the file header or cpp file. It should

automatically update the intellisense cause I found where I always had to delete the ncb or whatever the ext

for the intellisense database. To make it update. My the performance faster for it. Basically. I want the

C++ intellisense just like C# nothing different. The exact way.

2. Code format.

I also would love the C++ to have more code formatting options. Like for example.

switch(msg)

{

case blah:

{

}

}

not just

switch(msg)

{

case blah:

{

}

}

You should be able to do both without problems.

Like on Arrays. Be able to format it like int [ WIDTH ][ HEIGHT]. Also like int[WIDTH][HEIGHT]. Add spaces automatically.

Basically like the C# code format where applicible(sp?). You probably will get what I mean.

3. More colouring syntax.

I've notice that the VS2K5 colour syntax is rather limited. I would love to see more colour done to the syntax.

4. Custom Project Templates.

Like when you create a custom project and export it. Theres not one done for C++. This would definitely be alot

more helpful for me when I need to create more DirectX project for different samples instead of having to constantly

retype everything over again. And I found it more complicated to doing it the harder way like 3rd party ones do.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 1:44 PM