none
Is Sensor Diagnostic Tool for win8 available now? RRS feed

Answers

• Yes, it ships with the WDK.  You can find it under <kit root>\Tools\<arch>.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:29 PM
  • The Sensor Diagnostic Tool uses Sensor API COM objects to interface with the sensors.   The ISensorManager interface is used to retrieve a collection of ISensor objects.  The ISensor object is used to set or get sensor properties, or retrieve data using the ISensorDataReport interface.  The sensor property and data field names are mapped to GUIDs defined in the sensors.h and sensorapi.h Windows 8 SDK headers.  The Sensor Diagnostic Tool maps these GUIDs to strings for display along with the actual values.  For an overview of Sensor API please visit:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/developers/archive/2010/02/01/using-sensors-in-your-application-native-implementation-part-1.aspx

The Sensor Diagnostic Tool itself uses a .NET COM Interop interface to the Sensor API COM objects similar to Windows7.SensorsAndLocation.dll, which you can learn more about at:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/developers/archive/2009/04/02/windows-7-sensor-and-location-net-interop-sample-library.aspx

Although we don’t provide source for this library, it is very useful as-is for retrieving sensor data and properties.  I would recommend starting with this library.  However, this library doesn’t give access to the COM Objects themselves or raw data from ISensorDataReport.  This can be a problem, because some sensor properties are set and retrieved as IPortableDeviceValues objects, which the library does not handle well.  If you need to handle these sensor properties in addition to sensor data, you may need to create your own .NET interface.  Take a look at this COM Interop tutorial for help with this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645736(v=vs.71)

If you create your own Interop library, you will need to define several of the COM objects found in the Windows 8 SDK headers in C#.  Many of these COM objects are found in the sensors.h, sensorapi.h, portabledevicetypes.h, and propidl.h headers.

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:06 AM

All replies

• Yes, it ships with the WDK.  You can find it under <kit root>\Tools\<arch>.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:29 PM
  • hi Janet Schneider,

Where could I find the source code for this tool on Win8 WDK?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:24 AM
  • source code is not provided. why do you think you need the source?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:31 AM
  • I want to know how does it  work  and I want to wirte one  application similar with this tool.  If I can't find this tool's source code , could you tell me  which API is invoked  by this tool?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Doron,

I noticed this conversation and it relates to the same question I had.

I work on a Sensor HID implementation, and having the source code might be helpfull to me when things do not work as planned.

Is it possible to get the source for the sensordiagnostictool?

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Hi Shmuel,

Have you tried compiling and running the HID Sensor class sample driver?  It is the same as our in-box HID Sensor class driver.  You can also use WPP tracing to diagnose issues with the hardware.

Thanks,
    Janet

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:58 PM
  • The Sensor Diagnostic Tool uses Sensor API COM objects to interface with the sensors.   The ISensorManager interface is used to retrieve a collection of ISensor objects.  The ISensor object is used to set or get sensor properties, or retrieve data using the ISensorDataReport interface.  The sensor property and data field names are mapped to GUIDs defined in the sensors.h and sensorapi.h Windows 8 SDK headers.  The Sensor Diagnostic Tool maps these GUIDs to strings for display along with the actual values.  For an overview of Sensor API please visit:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/developers/archive/2010/02/01/using-sensors-in-your-application-native-implementation-part-1.aspx

The Sensor Diagnostic Tool itself uses a .NET COM Interop interface to the Sensor API COM objects similar to Windows7.SensorsAndLocation.dll, which you can learn more about at:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/developers/archive/2009/04/02/windows-7-sensor-and-location-net-interop-sample-library.aspx

Although we don’t provide source for this library, it is very useful as-is for retrieving sensor data and properties.  I would recommend starting with this library.  However, this library doesn’t give access to the COM Objects themselves or raw data from ISensorDataReport.  This can be a problem, because some sensor properties are set and retrieved as IPortableDeviceValues objects, which the library does not handle well.  If you need to handle these sensor properties in addition to sensor data, you may need to create your own .NET interface.  Take a look at this COM Interop tutorial for help with this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645736(v=vs.71)

If you create your own Interop library, you will need to define several of the COM objects found in the Windows 8 SDK headers in C#.  Many of these COM objects are found in the sensors.h, sensorapi.h, portabledevicetypes.h, and propidl.h headers.

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Is there a stand alone installer for the tool?   
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:20 PM
  • no, you must install the WDK to get it. You can choose not to install VS if you want to reduce what you download/install.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:51 PM