none
How to enter HTML line break <br/> in HTML Webform Editor SourceView, Shift + Enter doesn't work

Question

• I switched from an older VS version to VS 2015. I'm banging my head against the wall why I can't enter a HTML line break with Shift + Enter in the SourceView of the Editor anymore. Enter creates a paragraph <p>, but Shift + Enter does not enter a line break <br/> anymore. I haven't found any information searching on google or this forum. I can't believe that no one else has this problem. It is probably something very simple.

Marcus

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 1:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your post.

I did a test in my side using both VS2015 and VS2013. I found we can enter Shift+Enter to enter a line break <br/> in VS2013, when I perform Shift+Enter in Designer UI in VS2013. The <br/> will be added into the source code UI.

But when I perform the same operation in VS2015. The <br/> can not be added in to the source code UI.

According to our test results, I have submit this as a feature request to the VS team, please refer to the following link:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/12583779-but-shift-enter-does-not-enter-a-line-break-br

You can vote it and add your comments.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Thursday, March 03, 2016 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by MarcusK Thursday, March 03, 2016 10:06 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Hi Xiao, thank you for confirming.

I just think it should be reported at the bug report site instead of the feature request site. Do you know the proper bug report site for VS?

Marcus

Thursday, March 03, 2016 10:09 AM
  • Hi  Marcus,

This site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, March 04, 2016 12:51 AM
  • I can't believe that there is still no solution. I reported it as a bug, but even 2016 doesn't work right. Is nobody entering line breaks in html in design view anymore?

I found a little workaround. If I copy <br/> from source view I can paste it in design view and it creates a new line. Does anyone know how to put this on a shortcut? There seems to be no solution from within VS, because apparently it needs to come from the clipboard copied from source view.

Friday, August 19, 2016 3:51 PM
  • Hi MarcusK,

Thanks for the update.

>>Does anyone know how to put this on a shortcut?

Since the case was close. For your new question, I suggest you'd better post a new thread in our forum. Then we will follow up it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:36 AM