socket() problem on a vista system: 10050 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application that uses sockets, and runs fine under xp and 2000. Under Vista it returns WSAENETDOWN() on a socket() call.

The machine is connected to the net (I am actually writing this from it). Its a clean install of Vista (only thing on it is VS2005, and clearcase).

We tried several scenarios (including firewall modification, turning it on/off), checking network stacks, etc... no avail.

Anybody any thoughts or pointers?

Tx

Erik

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Anthony;

I checked, and everything seemed ok there.

We actually found the answer this afternoon (I was going to post it Smile ).

The 10050 only happens when we run the exe from the clearcase mounted views (if you are familiar with clearcase,its a dynamic view, not a static). Running the exe from a local static view works fine (and running non vista offcourse also).

Our guess is that this has to do with SMB running for the view and creating the socket then. I am not sure why; do you guys return NETDOWN as a response for a possible security risk somewhere when running from a mounted share, or when running on a Samba mounted exe?

Adding any firewall entry, or even doing the check ourself through the COM interfaces for the firewall doesnt change a thing.

Since we possibly will not be the only onces on this (from my working with MS years ago I remember some buildings where running Clearcase in Seattle? Smile ) a check with Rational/IBM or a knowledge base article might help some other peeps.

Anyway, thanks for the response

Cheers

Erik 

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:53 PM

All replies

• Most likely this is a bug in the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) which incorrectly checks whether there is a WFP filter policy in place for your particular EXE name (and path). The workaround is to reboot or to name the EXE to something else and then rename it back.

Another possiblity is a bad Winsock layered service provider (LSP) installed. You can check this by doing an "netsh.exe winsock show catalog" from an elevated command prompt to see if there is an entry whose "Protocol Chain Length" is greater than 1. If there is one present, you can remove it by a "netsh.exe winsock reset catalog". Note that this will remove ALL LSPs so any applications that installed them will probably no longer function correctly.

-Anthony Jones (MSFT)

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Hi Anthony;

I checked, and everything seemed ok there.

We actually found the answer this afternoon (I was going to post it Smile ).

The 10050 only happens when we run the exe from the clearcase mounted views (if you are familiar with clearcase,its a dynamic view, not a static). Running the exe from a local static view works fine (and running non vista offcourse also).

Our guess is that this has to do with SMB running for the view and creating the socket then. I am not sure why; do you guys return NETDOWN as a response for a possible security risk somewhere when running from a mounted share, or when running on a Samba mounted exe?

Adding any firewall entry, or even doing the check ourself through the COM interfaces for the firewall doesnt change a thing.

Since we possibly will not be the only onces on this (from my working with MS years ago I remember some buildings where running Clearcase in Seattle? Smile ) a check with Rational/IBM or a knowledge base article might help some other peeps.

Anyway, thanks for the response

Cheers

Erik 

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Anthony,

I also face the same problem, actually i have number of applications, which are on the mounted share (network drive). Once they are trying to listen to the network. They will give Error 10050 "A socket operation encountered a dead network.". I have tried to disable Windows Firewall & User Account Control (UAC). The problem still here. The only work arround is copy them to C: Drive to run... But this is not my want. Is there any security setting which can solve the problem?

cheers,

Hei

Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:29 AM
  • I just got a new Vista Business laptop and installed my programs on it, including VNC. Then I setup the Windows Mail for my POP3 account and let it get my messages. I noticed that the Windows Mail hungs up on messages with attachements. The log on the email server suggests that the client connection timmed out. Then I tried the vnc to access a remote server and noticed that it hungs up too while loading the initial screen. This is all while a computer next to me running XP Pro can get mails and VNC to the same machine.

Could this be related to the problem discussed here? How can I get the sockets to work?

Thanks

Adam G.
    Friday, February 1, 2008 6:28 AM
  • The same problem still exists on Vista & Clearcase. As Clearcase currently does not work with Win7 I cannot test it. Does anybody have any solution for this ?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:27 AM