none
32 bit to 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

can somebody help with Pricinig comparison while upgrading from 32 Bit Envrionment to 64 bit for SQL Server which includes Windows and hardware upgrade to 64bit as well, i suppose.

for example.

Windows 2003 32 bit to Windows 2003 or windows 2008 64 bit

SQL Server 2005 32 bit to 64 bit Standard Edition

Hardware upgrade.

Any good comparison table for the pricing difference?

Thanks,

Monday, May 5, 2008 1:41 PM

Answers

• If it is actually 32 bit hardware then no.  We actually had 64 bit hardware but to use the 64 bit OS and SQL we had to do a Bios Flash to the newest edition.  If the server was purchased in the last 2 maybe 3 years you should check the vendor and see if it is indeed 32 bit or one of the first 64 bit ones.  I happened to luck up.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:45 PM

All replies

•  FrenkyatMicrosoftForum wrote:

Dear All,

can somebody help with Pricinig comparison while upgrading from 32 Bit Envrionment to 64 bit for SQL Server which includes Windows and hardware upgrade to 64bit as well, i suppose.

for example.

Windows 2003 32 bit to Windows 2003 or windows 2008 64 bit

SQL Server 2005 32 bit to 64 bit Standard Edition

Hardware upgrade.

Any good comparison table for the pricing difference?

Thanks,

Hardware upgrade.

I can help you with that: From 3K to 5K depending on what your current box is. You have to buy a new machine if it does not have 64 bit processor or replace your MB with resulting consequences. You can try to build your own rig, that will save you some money but not much.

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Do you know for certain that your existing hardware is not 64bit already?  We had a few servers that were 64 bit capable with a BIOS update. 

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean to say that our exisiting 32bit hardware will work as 64bit only with updating BIOS update in some cases?

Also, for now I am looking to upgrade SQL Server to 64 bit with 2005 Version, Am I looking into Update of front applications as well to 64 bit if they are required to communicate with my Database Server within same server or from other servers.

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 1:43 PM
  • If it is actually 32 bit hardware then no.  We actually had 64 bit hardware but to use the 64 bit OS and SQL we had to do a Bios Flash to the newest edition.  If the server was purchased in the last 2 maybe 3 years you should check the vendor and see if it is indeed 32 bit or one of the first 64 bit ones.  I happened to luck up.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:45 PM