net framework RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,         I'm running windows xp-sp3,hp pacilion a324x.

I have MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 1.1 (CAME ALREADY INSTALLED). I downloaded

MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 SP2

MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 3.0 SP2

MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 SP1

MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 4 CLIENT PROFILE

MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 4 EXTENDED

This is my issue... I was trying to download software for my Tracfone (motorola brand-model #w376g) cellphone, to take pictures off my cellphone and put them on my computer.  The Motorola site said that I needed  MICOROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 3.0 SP2, so I decided to install the latest .Net Framework 4. After installing it, the Motorola site said I needed to install the 3.0 sp2.    So, my questions are: 1) Which .NET do I need.....2) Do I need all these .NET'S installed........3) Should I uninstall the ones I don't need?

Thanks for any help with these matter.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:46 PM

Answers

• If that app specifically targets .NET Framework 3.0, installing 4.0 will not help. If the designers/developers of the app in question set it up to require a specific framework, it will not find and use a newer one.

The framework version is part of the .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 setup. Although three "version numbers" are involved, this is all one framseork. 2,0 is the base. full. framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0.

You'll need to install the whole thing. Fortunately, there is a cumulative update that will do the job for you:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Before you run this installer, please clean out your %temp% directory (that is the Temp directory you'll find under the user account you log on with to run the installer).

Also, disable any AV/anti-malware/firewall software you have installed.

Be sure to run the installer from youe system administrator account.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, September 5, 2011 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:41 AM

All replies

• Friend,
      Framework 4.0 is compatible in running all the apps which is targetting, 2.0 and 3.5. 3.0 is an intermediate release of Framework. I believe it is the problem with the app.

-- Thanks Ajith R Nair
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:22 AM
  • If that app specifically targets .NET Framework 3.0, installing 4.0 will not help. If the designers/developers of the app in question set it up to require a specific framework, it will not find and use a newer one.

The framework version is part of the .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 setup. Although three "version numbers" are involved, this is all one framseork. 2,0 is the base. full. framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0.

You'll need to install the whole thing. Fortunately, there is a cumulative update that will do the job for you:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Before you run this installer, please clean out your %temp% directory (that is the Temp directory you'll find under the user account you log on with to run the installer).

Also, disable any AV/anti-malware/firewall software you have installed.

Be sure to run the installer from youe system administrator account.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, September 5, 2011 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:41 AM