Is 'Package SID' title caption a typo for 'Application Client ID' on WNS Settings Page in Azure Portal? RRS feed

• Question

• After registering an App with Azure Portal, I proceeded to setting up a Notification Hub. No problem except for one confusing thing.

If you click on Windows (WNS) setting -- among other options of Apple (APNS), Google (GCM/FCM), Amazon (ADM) -- you'll be presented with fill-in text-boxes for 'Package SID' and 'Security Key' for the setting.

Getting the two values is not a problem. Package SID for the app is at Developer Dashboard and 'Security Key' from App registrations in Azure Portal (what I did before proceeding to Notification Hub settings).

But entering the Package SID will always end up in a setting error with an immediate error prompt.

On the other hand, entering the Application client ID - as it appears in App registrations (together with the Secret Key) -- succeeds. BUT, unsure if this is the right way for the setting because of errors down the road.

Past the setting, I'm still having some issues with the Notification Hub operationally -- while the registration seems to succeed, the testing indicates that tokens are invalid.

"The Token obtained from the Token Provider is invalid"

Hence why I am unsure if using client ID instead of Package SID accurate in the first place. If I know this to be correct, I can focus on the Notification Hub issues. I am trying two a reduce a two-variable problem for me to one-variable.

Is the Package SID title caption on Windows (WNS) setting page a typo for App client ID?

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:10 PM

All replies

• a4sdl, that should be the package SID. Without further details, it's difficult to troubleshoot the issue. I think it would be best if we assist you further with a support case to troubleshoot the issues you are encountering. Please reach out to us at azcommunity@microsoft.com with your subscription ID and the URL of this post.
    Saturday, September 7, 2019 2:13 AM
  • How this seemingly simple configuration is holding us back is quite surprising and not for lack of how to go about configuring things. We followed all the steps.

To start with: Google notification works as expected. No problem here at all.

But we followed the steps for Windows WNS but doesn't work as expected. Something must have changed along the way. We followed every tutorials from 2 year ago to most recent. We even deleted and recreated App Registration and Notification Hub registration.

Assume the App is MyApp.

1. We went to Developer Dashboard and to MyApp's Product Management => WNS/MPNS  (for an already existing App). Could it be that for Notification Hub to work, an app must be created as new? If so, how to go about to add notification to an app that existed for sometime?

2. The Clicked on the link Live Services site 

3. Prompted to use the new experience of app registration, and followed that to Azure AD at Azure Portal

4. Registered the App filling in the details and went to Certificates and Secrets, and created Client secrets presumably to be used by Notification hub authentication of the app. So far, other than App ID, we see no Package SID coming up at all at this stage (which exists at the Developer Dashboard), but we need for the Notification Hub configuration. Just for info.

5. Still at Azure Portal and created a Notification Hub (under an existing namespace).

6. Did for Google FCM which worked as expected upon testing.

7. Now to WNS. It asks us for Package SID and Security Key. The Package SIP (which exists at the Developer Dashboard never came up until this moment; not in app registration, nor does it appear in there.

8. Entering the Package SID (from Developer Dashboard) and the Security Key from App registration (security pair of the Client secret) DOESN'T WORK. Comes up as an error:

-- {"error":{"message":"SubCode=40000. Failed to validate credentials with WNS. The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request...

9. However, entering the Application ID and Client Secret as they appear in App registration is accepted:

-- Notification Hub updated successfully!

10. Now proceeding to testing the operation of the Notification Hub in code will always result in an error that says:

>The Token obtained from the Token Provider is invalid

We used the DefaultListenSharedAccessSignature in the App, DefaultFullSharedAccessSignature in the back-end namespace and hub name appropriately in code.

What are we doing wrong?

Please Help.

• Edited by a4sdl Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:54 PM
  • We have exactly the same issue, we have opened a support ticket in Azure but they still have not find a solution for it.

The documentation available to register Notification Hub with WNS is obsolete, because there is no way to get the token from Windows Dev Center, and if you use the token obtained from the app registration in Azure AD you get this issue.

Anyone has a solution for this?

Thursday, February 13, 2020 3:49 PM
  • Finally I get the asnwer, is not a typo.

You still have to use the Package SID and application secret obtained from Windows Dev Center. To get it you have to use the same Microsoft account you used to open the dev center account, if you are using a professional account you will not see the live sdk application registration in dev center.

Moreover, if you deleted in some moment the live sdk application registration you will have to create a new app in Windows Store, because there is no way to re-register the app in live sdk.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4fac43f-3baa-4c3f-9363-b0062bf20af3/relink-application-in-live-services?forum=wpsubmit

In some moment I supose that WNS will use the app id and the app secret from Azure AD, but not now.

Thursday, February 27, 2020 7:15 PM