none
Microsft's Recommendation easier said than done RRS feed

• Question

• This is Microsoft suggested recipe for removing the pre-release .NET 3.5 but did Microsoft consider the possibility, what if the user is unable to remove it using ADD/Remove program?

If you have installed earlier pre-release versions of .NET Framework 3.5, then you must uninstall them prior to running this installation by using Add or Remove Programs.

Presently I am wrestling with this issue. It is already 2+days spent on this issue. Is there someway to charge Microsoft for the hours?

Does ANY ONE KNOW precisely what is the matter with this?

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:32 PM

Answers

•  

If you're not able to remove a pre-release version of .Net 3.5 using Add/Remove Programs, you might try the .Net clean-up tool, described here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/12/04/6659905.aspx

It's not the ideal removal (you should read the related blog posts, it may require repairing .Net 2.0 or 1.1 on your machine), but it might help in cases where Add/Remove Programs isn't functioning as expected.

Hope this helps,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:27 AM

All replies

•  

If you're not able to remove a pre-release version of .Net 3.5 using Add/Remove Programs, you might try the .Net clean-up tool, described here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/12/04/6659905.aspx

It's not the ideal removal (you should read the related blog posts, it may require repairing .Net 2.0 or 1.1 on your machine), but it might help in cases where Add/Remove Programs isn't functioning as expected.

Hope this helps,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:27 AM
  • Thanks Nick. I will try this and will let the forum know.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:56 PM
  • This was disasterous and got me into more trouble. After using this not only I could not remove the dotnet 3.5 but also damaged my Media Center Program. Now I get the following exception when I try to open media center application on my Windows XP Media Ceter Edition.

Fatal Execution Engine Error (0x7927f26e)

Any help will be appreciated. 

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Sorry that you're having more trouble, Jayaram!

Can you post the output of the uninstall tool so that we can see what went wrong?  (If it's too large for this forum, you can email any such files to me at ndoty at microsoft dot com.)

Also, have you tried repairing existing versions of the .Net framework after running this tool?  As mentioned originally, running this tool to remove .Net 3.5 can break .Net 2.0 or 3.0 functionality until repairs have been run.

Hope this helps,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Hi Jayaram,

The latest version of Windows XP Media Center requires the .NET Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1.  If you're getting that kind of error, it is likely that you need to repair/re-install the .NET Framework 1.1 on this system.  I'd suggest using the steps listed at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx to re-install both the .NET Framework 1.1 and the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on this system.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks!  Aaron

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Could you tellme where it gets saved to? I did read it and it was long with tiemstamp and all.I don't remember where it gets saved. After the failure of Media center I went back and did system restore to successviely three previous restore points but was unbale to go back and the media center does not work. I still see the 3.3, 3.0, 2 and 1.1 in the AddRemove programs. This interface(Add/Remove) is totally ineffective to fix problems.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:07 AM
  • As Aaron suggested, you'll likely need to re-install .Net 1.1 and its service packs in order to fix your Windows Media Center problem.  If you're able to, try removing .Net 1.1 from Add/Remove programs and then re-installing it from the link mentioned in Aaron's blog post.

I believe you can find the logs from cleanup_tool.exe in the %temp% directory (click Start, then click Run, then type %temp% and click OK).  There should be three log files: cleanup_main.log, cleanup_errors.log and cleanup_actions.log.  You can either post them on this thread or email them to me at ndoty at microsoft dot com and hopefully we'll be able to diagnose the problem.

Hope this helps,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Thanks. I went back to Aaron's blog and did everything suggested therein. Of course I ran into several problems that had to do with asking for non-existent files, unable to uninstall etc. However after a variety of troubles I finally got back my Media Center to function. It not only requires 1.1 but also 2.0 from what I saw. The 3.5 Preview was also cleaned up. I think Aaron's blog is a real useful resource. I will add some comments in my blog regarding Aaron's blog and your suggestions.

Thanks

Jay

http://hodentek.blogspot.com

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:25 PM