none
How can i move onto Visual Studio 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I love Small Basic, and i think it's a great app - i can now do basic programming. But now i have a question - How can i move onto Visual Studio 2008? I  tried using it, but the interface and style was completely different. Are there any videos or guides to help start using Visual Studio, such as the 'Getting Started' guide for small basic? and, can i install the Small Basic Language into Visual Studio 2008?
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:46 PM

Answers

• Here is another point that you may be missing. SmallBasic is not designed to be used as a solution to any serious problems. If you are thinking of using Smallbasic as anything other then a learning tool, or to simply have fun with, then it is time to set SmallBasic down and move on to another language. This type of feature creep is why Visual Basic is mostly useless as a teaching tool.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:53 PM
    Answerer
  • I assume that you want to learn Visual Basic. I have Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition. If this is what you have, look on the Start page that shows when you first start the application. In the Getting Started box there are lots of links including one labelled Learn VB. Click on this and you will see a list of topics under the title "Visual Basic Guided Tour". Work your way through these at whatever pace suits you. Don't worry about things like database programming until you've got to know the language.
    Practice. Create lots of small programs and add new things to them as you progess and don't panic; there is a lot to learn.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:30 PM

All replies

• I assume that you want to learn Visual Basic. I have Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition. If this is what you have, look on the Start page that shows when you first start the application. In the Getting Started box there are lots of links including one labelled Learn VB. Click on this and you will see a list of topics under the title "Visual Basic Guided Tour". Work your way through these at whatever pace suits you. Don't worry about things like database programming until you've got to know the language.
    Practice. Create lots of small programs and add new things to them as you progess and don't panic; there is a lot to learn.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Thanks for a reply :)

This still dosen't answer my second question - Can you install the Small Basic Programming Language into Visual Studio? Also, how can you install extra languages such as Java or Perl?
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:50 PM
  • I take it everyone is to stuned to answer this one.  I will give it a whirl.

Visual Studio is kind of a package, what you get is what you got as far as languages.  VS is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Visual Basic, C# and C++.  Small Basic is its own IDE and never the twain shall meet.  VS is a Microsoft product, Java and Perl are not so they will not be found as part of VS.  There used to be a Microsoft version of Java called J# but it has faded away I think.  At least it is no longer on the Microsoft Express download page any more.  I think it is still a download somewhere and it may(?) be installed to use the VS IDE but I will let someone in the know answer that one.  If you want to learn Visual Basic the Express version is free and the number of decent (and not decent) books is large.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Here is another point that you may be missing. SmallBasic is not designed to be used as a solution to any serious problems. If you are thinking of using Smallbasic as anything other then a learning tool, or to simply have fun with, then it is time to set SmallBasic down and move on to another language. This type of feature creep is why Visual Basic is mostly useless as a teaching tool.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hmmm... maybe Microsoft could develope a "Basic" Visual Basic, or an Introductory Visual Basic that is a stripped down version of Visual Basic - to include Small Basic's Intellisense and that frame on the right that shows the proper syntax and describes the command.
    That would be pretty cool.

...oh.
    It looks like Visual Basic the Express version already does that?
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Hi, Thanks for the the replies, really helped :)
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:21 PM