none
Outlook 2013 performance degradation - how to identify offending add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Im not sure if this is the right forum to post.

We are in the process of upgrading from Windows 7 32bit to Office 2007, to Windows 7 64bit Office 2013 32bit and currently running a pilot.

The feedback is Outlook 2013 performing basic tasks is much slower ie create new email, reply to email, move between Outlook sub-folders.

It appears to be client related.

In Outlook 2013 new vendor add-ins are installed which dont exist in Outlook 2007.  A total of 16 Outlook add-ins are installed, a combination of in-house, Microsoft and vendor add-ins.

If I run Outlook 2013 in safe mode ie all add-ins disabled, performing the basic tasks theres instant response times.

However if the Outlook add-ins are enabled and loaded, performing the same tasks theres a noticeable performance hit and lag.

The add-ins provide software functionality, workflow and productivity tools for users, therefore the add-ins need to remain and not disabled.

Ive run Process Monitor. It displays Outlook.exe processes and tasks, however not individual add-ins

Ive installed Microsofts utility OffCat. Its a good reporting tool with great detail. It displays the add-ins loaded, and location in the registry, but thats about all add-in related.

I need more details. I  was wondering if any tools, or utilites exist to track the Outlook add-ins when they run, what the add-ins are running/ using, and the time the task takes to process.  the start time and end time the add-in is called,
    I would like to isolate and identify which add-in maybe causing the performance hit, and raise with the vendor for them to resolve.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by dd_ Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hello,

There is no such tools. You need to enabled each add-in separately while keeping others unloaded and test it on the machine. Only following that way you can find a problematic add-in. However, an issue can be caused by multiple add-ins running together in Outlook.

By default, Outlook disables slow add-ins. Outlook 2013 monitors add-in performance counters such as add-in startup, shutdown, folder switch, item open, and iteration timing. For example, if the median startup time exceeds a specified amount, then Outlook will disable the add-in and display a notification to the user that an add-in has been disabled. The user has the option of always enabling the add-in, so that Outlook will not disable the add-in even if the add-in exceeds the performance threshold. System administrators also have a new, enhanced level of control over which add-ins are disabled by using group policy.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:41 AM