none
My virtual machine restarted last night. How can I have Azure alert me when this happens? RRS feed

• Question

• The activity log says nothing other than a "Health Event" notification and says nothing about who initiated the event.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:13 PM

All replies

• I would start with this document on understanding reboots in Azure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/troubleshooting/understand-vm-reboot

If there was a health event, it is likely the node your VM was located on faulted. When this happens Azure automatically moves your VM to a healthy host. This will result in a reboot but all in all ensures your VM gets back online as fast as possible instead of waiting for the node that faulted to come back online. 

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:24 PM
  • Any update on this issue? 

If you found the above proposed answer useful, please remember to "Up-vote" and "Mark as Answer" so others in the community can easily find the answer. 

Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:34 PM
  • Thanks. I've read that document and several others. None of them provide an easy way of notifying myself that this has occurred. I've set an alert to tell me if my CPU usage is below 1.25% as it is after a reboot. Seems far from ideal.
    Sunday, August 18, 2019 8:10 PM
  • Hi There,

There is a best to get your task done is through Azure Log Analytics.

Assuming you have Log Analytics workspace in your subscription or you have installed Monitoring agent or extension on VMs.

Lets get started,

Now lets take option 1: - When we have windows VM

Here you could set two alert one for agent is not heart-beating (when VM is down or Agent service stopped on servers).

A reboot alert event id through 6008 (which is generally event id whenever we have unexpected reboot).

Now lets take option 1: - When we have Linux VM

Here we have only one option available when agent is not heart-beating since here we dont have event IDs.

Let me know sir/ma'am if you need any help from Azure log Analytics side, I will glad to help you :)

Hope this helps too :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Monday, August 19, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Any update on this? 

If the proposed answer was useful, please remember to "Up-Vote" and "Mark as Answer" so others in the community can benefit 

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:59 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If your issue is resolved with the provided suggestion, do click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" on the post that helped you, so that other forum members can benefit from it.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:43 AM