Club site wont work in IIS RRS feed

• Question

• User-1943643009 posted

Hi my name is mike. I have been testing out the clubsite templet. It is very nice and works very well. I recently wanted to test it in IIS. So i set it up and put the published solution in the IIS directory. When i try to load the website it directs me to the error page for the clubwebsite. If i run the solution in visual studios it works perfectly fine. I was wondering if anyone has successfully got this site to work in IIS. Hope you guys can help. Thanks

Also can you use this site as XML, or does it have to have a data base like sql server?

Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• User1855564218 posted

Club site uses SQL express as far as I know. Please confirm that database engine being used.

Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:07 PM
  • User-1943643009 posted

can i use sql server 2008?

Thursday, August 6, 2009 9:18 PM
  • User-1693514048 posted

Hey,

It should be a reasonably simple matter to get the Club Site to run under SQL Server 2008, it should just be a matter of changing the connection string for the database.

The best place to find the correct connection string would be here:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Obviously, you will need to move the database into the SQL Server instance.

A slightly more long winded way, if you really wanted to use XML would be to implement a true n-tier database access layer, and then implement a provider for the XML file that you wanted to use.  For a very good example of an n-Tier approach, I would suggest you have a look at the BeerHouse Sample Kit, which you can find here:

http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/the-beer-house/

Hope that helps!!

Gary

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:46 AM
  • User-1773948845 posted

Hi my name is mike. I have been testing out the clubsite templet. It is very nice and works very well. I recently wanted to test it in IIS. So i set it up and put the published solution in the IIS directory. When i try to load the website it directs me to the error page for the clubwebsite. If i run the solution in visual studios it works perfectly fine. I was wondering if anyone has successfully got this site to work in IIS. Hope you guys can help. Thanks

Also can you use this site as XML, or does it have to have a data base like sql server?

when u execute in vs it run with the helps asp.net own server but when u publish with IIS the page need to be executed with the help of IIS Server. The problem with the port.

Try this solution

Create a sample site with a single page and publish to iis. check the port no and then use the same port no

in the clubsite project.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:12 AM
  • User-1943643009 posted

i have already got IIS set up right. The reason is becuase i just made a quick html doc in notepad with some simple text in it, and put it on iis and set it all up. I could connect to it from a different computer. So i know that iis is set up right. I just cannot figure out how to get the club site to work in iis. I published it in vs and then put it in a virtual directory in iis. Then i install sql server and tried to open the mdf file and attact it the the database in sql. I got a error saying that it could not be open. So i am kinda lost. I dont really want to change the connection strings for each part of the codebehind. Is there a easier solution?

Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:43 PM
  • User-1693514048 posted

Hey,

You shouldn't need to change the connection string everywhere, the connection string should be stored in the web.config file.

Gary

Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:58 PM
  • User-1943643009 posted

do i have to change the connection strings in the web.config file?

Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:44 PM
  • User-1693514048 posted

Hey,

It's been a while since I have looked at the Club Site code, but from what I remember, the connection string is definitely listed in the web.config file, and this connection string is then used throughout the application where it is needed.  At least, this is the way it should be.  By default, the connection string will be looking for an mdf file in the project's app_data folder, since you are moving the database onto a SQL Server instance, you are going to need to modify the connection string in the web.config file to point to where the database now lives, and that should sort you out.

Hope that helps!!

Gary

Friday, August 21, 2009 2:33 AM