Local Computer Errors with Accessing Database Connection RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the background of my situation:

FYI, I am a new Excel PowerPivot user (started playing with it in the last 2 months) and have extremely little experience in programming or coding. My supervisor created a PowerView-PowerPivot dashboard based on back-end data that she would like me to update and edit to show specific metrics to our new boss. I was able to do a lot of the changes simply by using the same graphs she had created but modifying their filters and moving a few other things around on PowerView. However, when I eventually needed to access the data model and make changes to the data columns in PowerPivot, I clicked, "Manage," and was hit with this error message: 

"Unable to load the tables in the PowerPivot window."

Details:

============================
    Error Message:

Schema specified is not valid. Errors: 
    (1,227) : warning 0005: Could not find schema information for the attribute 'Namespace'.
    (1,2) : error 0010: The element Schema in namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2008/09/edm was unexpected for the root element. The expected Schema in one of the following namespaces: http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2006/04/edm, http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/05/edm.

Call Stack:

at System.Data.Metadata.Edm.EdmItemCollection.LoadItems(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders, IEnumerable`1 sourceFilePaths, SchemaDataModelOption dataModelOption, DbProviderManifest providerManifest, ItemCollection itemCollection, Boolean throwOnError)
       at System.Data.Metadata.Edm.EdmItemCollection.Init(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders, IEnumerable`1 filePaths, Boolean throwOnError)
       at System.Data.Metadata.Edm.EdmItemCollection..ctor(IEnumerable`1 xmlReaders)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.LinguisticModeling.CsdlMapper..ctor(String csdlXmlString)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.LinguisticModeling.CsdlMapper.GetCsdlMapper(DataModelingSandbox sandbox)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.LinguisticModeling.LinguisticSchemaLoader.DeserializeSynonymModelFromSchema()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.LinguisticModeling.LinguisticSchemaLoader.LoadSynonymModel()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.LinguisticModeling.LinguisticDesignerState.Load(IModelerHost host, DataModelingSandbox sandbox)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.LoadLinguisticDesignerState()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.set_Sandbox(DataModelingSandbox value)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Modeler.ClientWindow.RefreshClientWindow(String tableName)

Does anyone have any idea as to what this means? I've checked around the internet but have had no luck finding an answer. 

Importantly, I have checked permissions with my account and permissions to access the database are exactly the same as my supervisor who made, and still has the ability to Manage the data model. However, when my supervisor logged into my computer to see if the permissions on our accounts were still off, we found that she had the same error messages, even when she was accessing the file from her account. This points to the problem having something to do with my personal machine or the software I am using. We are also both using 64-bit versions of Office 365. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.

Thank you. 

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:14 PM

Answers

• I don't know if the two errors are related. The first one looks like an issue actually reading the model metadata. The second error is a permissions issue in SQL Server. Your logon must not have permission to run the fn_NoHTML_Tags function which must be a custom function someone has written in your database.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, January 29, 2016 6:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:21 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:26 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you might have an older version of PowerPivot on your machine. In Excel go into the File menu, click onto Account and then click the "About Excel" button and compare the full version number which will be in brackets, mine looks like (15.0.4787.1002) for my Excel 2013. 

If you are on Excel 2013 you'll need to figure out what updates are on your supervisors machine and get them applied to your machine too. If you are on Excel 2010 then the PowerPivot add-in is installed separately and you may need to update that to the latest version.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:45 PM
  • I checked our full version numbers and both are exactly the same. We're both using 2013 versions of Excel and PowerPivot, and we're both on Office 365. I also checked her add-ins and PowerPivot settings. She had the same as me except she had Team Foundation Add-In. Would that make a difference? 

Also, I tried re-importing the tables that we were using via the database and was given this error: 

=========================

"OLE DB or ODBC error: The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'fn_NoHTML_Tags', database 'cSupport', schema 'dbo'.; 42000; The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'fn_NoHTML_Tags', database 'cSupport', schema 'dbo'.; 42000.

An error occurred while processing table 'vReport'.

The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed."

=========================

I have no idea if that error is related to the original error. 

Thursday, January 28, 2016 9:03 PM
  • I don't know if the two errors are related. The first one looks like an issue actually reading the model metadata. The second error is a permissions issue in SQL Server. Your logon must not have permission to run the fn_NoHTML_Tags function which must be a custom function someone has written in your database.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, January 29, 2016 6:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:21 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:26 PM