none
Need to find out the installation binary file of SQL Server 2008 Standard edition

Question

• Hi,

We have SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition installed in one host. Recently the SQL Server instance  will be migrated to new host which has more CPU & Memory. We need to install SQL Server 2008 standard edition in the new host. While checking I found following two binary folder in the old host saved by another DBA who has left the company. Both of the binary folder contain SQL Server 2008 software. One of the folder size is 3 GB and another folder size is 5.27 GB. Below are the software binary folder names. 

1) SW_DVD9_SQL_Svr_Standard_Edtn_2008_R2_English_MLF_X16-29588

2) en_sql_server_2008_r2_standard_x86_x64_ia64_dvd_521546

Can anyone tell me which one is SQL Server 2008 Standard edition.  

• Moved by Olaf HelperMVP Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:50 AM Moved from "Database Design" to a more related forum
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 12:42 PM

Answers

• By the installer name both are Standard Edition and both are SQL Server 2008 R2, not 2008

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, December 18, 2016 1:24 PM
  • Hi arifulhaq,

If I remember this correctly,  the first folder(I believe both folder are extracted from ISO files) name indicates it’s download from Microsoft Volume Licensing site. The second one comes from MSDN subscription download site

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by arifulhaq Monday, December 19, 2016 11:10 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:11 AM

All replies

• By the installer name both are Standard Edition and both are SQL Server 2008 R2, not 2008

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, December 18, 2016 1:24 PM
  • Hi arifulhaq,

If I remember this correctly,  the first folder(I believe both folder are extracted from ISO files) name indicates it’s download from Microsoft Volume Licensing site. The second one comes from MSDN subscription download site

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by arifulhaq Monday, December 19, 2016 11:10 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:11 AM

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for the reply. Yes both are SQL Server 2008 R2. But can you tell me why the software binary size is different? One is 3 GB another is 5.27 GB. 

Monday, December 19, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Hi arifulhaq,

I can only assume they are both incorrect. MSDN site says the size should be 4177MB . Although I have no access to volume licensing site, but according to this thread, the size should also be 4177MB(4,380,329,984 bytes). Since it’s not the original ISO file, there’s a chance that the exaction is incomplete or someone had put irrelevant files in the folder. In this case, I would suggest you re-download the installation media from either MSDN site or Volume Licensing site if possible.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Hi Lin,

What is the difference between " Volume Licensing site" & "Subscription download site"?

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Hi Hi arifulhaq,

>>MSDN subscription download site.

That’s where you download software if your Microsoft account is associated to MSDN subscription.

>> Microsoft Volume Licensing site.

That’s where you download software/access your licensing information if you have purchased them. If you have no access to this site, please contact your local volume licensing support directly.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:54 AM