Must say I like the Ribbon and File functionality in Windows Developer Preview

General discussion

• Must say that the Ribbon & File functionality & offerings in the Windows 8 Explorer Windows is an absolute joy.  Things are so clear, in-your-face, easy to understand & convenient*.  The more time spent w/ 8, learning & discovering using and navigating w/in it... it will be hard for people to dislike it.  It gets to be really rather neat & fun making usage sensible & pleasant.  Takes some open-minded adjusting but, upon 'investigating', tends to grow on you.  Also, the display, font, graphics appearance are amazing & impressive; so is the speed!
      As for the 1st point(*)... comes across a bit like, geeesh, should have always been like this.

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:18 AM

All replies

• Must say that the Ribbon & File functionality & offerings in the Windows 8 Explorer Windows is an absolute joy.  Things are so clear, in-your-face, easy to understand & convenient*.  The more time spent w/ 8, learning & discovering using and navigating w/in it... it will be hard for people to dislike it.

If they would just fix up the UX for the Address bar and Search bar I might share your enthusiasm.   In them in particular but in the Explorer UI in general I get more irritation than pleasure.   I honestly can't think of one thing about it that I really like.   Fortunately, my PowerShell skills are improving so now I have another alternative to relying on the traditional Command Prompt for finding things and getting information about them.

---

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hey, don't get me wrong as, I'm certainly not saying the current illiteration of Win8 (the DP) is perfect, by any means.  For one thing, it irritates me that LINKS, on the Taskbar do not work as they do in 7.  W/ Seven they will add to sites in an already open browser windows, in keeping w/ Tabbed Browsing.  Whereas in Eight, they open a new window.  That negates being able to Add to Favorites Bar & then disable it & have the LINKS access (the same) things conveniently.

But, this & more is why we will start beta-testing soon & give the Build Team our feedback for adjustments leading up to RTM.

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

• Edited by Drew1903 Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:29 PM
  • I agree, Drew.

I have never stopped liking menus, always turning them back on in Windows 7, and I find the ability to close up the Windows 8 Explorer window ribbons into menu-like functionality a VERY nice approach.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:53 PM
  • If they would just fix up the UX for the ... Search bar I might share your enthusiasm. 

Robert, have you ever tried the freeware grepWin as a real search tool alternative?  It's a bit geeky, but then so are we.  :)

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:54 PM
  • I think keyboard usability of menus was better than the Ribbon tabs and commands. Wish there was a way to disable the Ribbon in Windows 8 using Group Policy. There are dozens and dozens of policies in Windows to disable various GUI elements.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:08 PM