none
disaster recovery failure RRS feed

• Question

• as part of testing a disaster recovery plan before going live I have uninstalled WSS 3.0 on one server and installed it on another. The DB's are on a SQL server. During the configuration process I receive a "failed to connect to the confiiguration database" even tho it is specified correctly in setup. What should I look for here?

Thanks

Bob
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if you want to move the content DB only,
    1) Find the content Database, These are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List
    2) Backup the content database,You could alternatively detach it, and copy it. Just doing a backup in SQL Server 2005 Management studio is easier.
    3) Restore content database to new server
    Copy the BAK file to new server. Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the "options" tab of the restore dialog to get it to work. (Overwrite db).
    4) Create Web App on new Server
    Central Admin->Application Management->Create or extend Web App->Create New Web App.
    5) Associate restored DB with new Web App
    Central Admin->Application Management->SharePoint Web Application Management->Content Databases->
    Remove Content Database from your new web app.
    Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app
    c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\12\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM.
    run this command from there.
    stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver
    6) Run ISSRESET from command prompt

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, November 20, 2009 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which installation are you using, Basic or Advanced?
    Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:59 PM
  • If your moving physical servers then you will not reuse the config database, only content DBs. You will have to create a new config db and restore portal using the old content DBs.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:06 PM
  • advanced
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

when you specify the database server in the "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration" wizard. 
    use the following format:
    DatabaseServerName\InstanceName

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:19 PM
  • I am using the only instance, the default instance, and if I name it as DatabaseServerName\InstanceName, it fails to locate the configuration database...
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:03 PM
  • This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
    • The SQL database is not running.
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is configured to run in IIS  isolation mode.
    • The account that is used by application pool does not have the required permissions to the SQL Server database.
    • Network connectivity has been lost between the Windows SharePoint Services server and the Microsoft SQL Server server.

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:50 PM
  • As Travis mentioned, As you moved the WSS from one server to another you cannot use the config database. It will not connect because that configuration database will contain the details of the pervious WSS server from where you unistalled it. You need to create a new configuration database but can use the content databases.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Ok. got it... how do I connect to the content DB's. When I attempt it it will not allow me to select the old content DB's 
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

if you want to move the content DB only,
    1) Find the content Database, These are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List
    2) Backup the content database,You could alternatively detach it, and copy it. Just doing a backup in SQL Server 2005 Management studio is easier.
    3) Restore content database to new server
    Copy the BAK file to new server. Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the "options" tab of the restore dialog to get it to work. (Overwrite db).
    4) Create Web App on new Server
    Central Admin->Application Management->Create or extend Web App->Create New Web App.
    5) Associate restored DB with new Web App
    Central Admin->Application Management->SharePoint Web Application Management->Content Databases->
    Remove Content Database from your new web app.
    Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app
    c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\12\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM.
    run this command from there.
    stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver
    6) Run ISSRESET from command prompt

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, November 20, 2009 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:57 PM