none
Merging two PowerPoint files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody

I searched through the forums and on the Internet but I could not find what I was looking. I am probably am getting blind or maybe I am looking for something that does not exist... Anyway, here is the situation:

I am trying to work on a software for my company that would take, for example, two one-pager PPT files and create one two-pager file. I know you can do that by using the "Insert" command in VBA but that means I need a copy of PowerPoint on that station. I am trying to avoid having it being installed. Does anybody know of a way to do that? What I am now trying to do is to open an empty single page PPT document to see its structure but I was not able to do it yet. I downloaded the PowerPoint File Formats Protocol from Microsoft but it has over 600 pages... Any input would be greatlly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Rick
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:11 PM

Answers

• Rick,
    Using the binary formats to achieve this is possible though not trivial. I would review the MS-PPT document from a high level to get a better feel for the complexity involved. The content of the PPT pages will also play a factor. As an example a page with embedded objects would be more complex than a simple page.

Steve Smegner

Application Development Consulting Group

• Proposed as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Monday, December 15, 2008 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:54 AM

All replies

• Rick,
    There are no stand alone programs that would do this. You basically have 3 routes which I believe you have already discovered.
    1. You can use Office + VBA or Office + VSTO to accomplish this.
    2. Without installing Office you can use the Open Spec document to create a program to manipulate the binary file formats.
    3. Or you can use the OpenXML file formats which may be easier for you to work with. You can find more information on the OpenXML SDK here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456487.aspx

If you have any specific questions about the Open Specs feel free to post on this forum.

Steve Smegner

• Proposed as answer by Steve Smegner Monday, November 17, 2008 11:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rhille Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:00 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Hello Steve

First of all, thanks for answering my post. Now, I will be looking at the OpenXML option but, about the binary file format, how complicated would it be to actually merge the two files. I guess it is not as easy as open the first file, adding a few lines of data to tell the software it is looking at a new slide and copying the data from the second file at the end... Or could it be?

Thanks again for your input

Rick
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Rick,
    Using the binary formats to achieve this is possible though not trivial. I would review the MS-PPT document from a high level to get a better feel for the complexity involved. The content of the PPT pages will also play a factor. As an example a page with embedded objects would be more complex than a simple page.

Steve Smegner

• Proposed as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Monday, December 15, 2008 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:54 AM