VS 2013 Pro with Surface Pro 4 RRS feed

• Question

• User132483923 posted

I am on the verge of making what I consider to be two large purchases: a Surface Pro 4 and an license for VS 2013 Pro.  But, I want to know what I am getting into.

If someone is aware of a good tutorial for installing VS 2013 on a Surface Pro 4, I'd appreciate the link and that would probably answer my questions.

My questions:

1. Is the installation process on a Surface Pro 4 significantly different than on a normal desktop or laptop running Windows 10?

2. Does it matter which version of SQL Server I use? I plan on building a site that is fairly simple, but that uses login credentials (username, password, and OAuth).  My data will largely be in XML files, so I will only use a database to the extent that I have to for user credentials.  The site will be hosted on an Azure server.

3. What is the proper order for installation? Visual Studio and then SQL Server?  The other way around?  My current laptop has various versions of SQL Server (Express and 2008), Visual Studio (2012, 2013, Express), and Web Matrix.  I recall a lot of confusion as I installed and reinstalled SQL Server and Visual Studio before I got the IDE up and running.

Monday, December 7, 2015 4:16 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

1. Is the installation process on a Surface Pro 4 significantly different than on a normal desktop or laptop running Windows 10?

AFAIK, the Surface Pro runs Windows 8 professional, you can install VS 2013 on it.

Does it matter which version of SQL Server I use? I plan on building a site that is fairly simple, but that uses login credentials (username, password, and OAuth).

Surface Pro 4 with the  i7 processor runs Windows 8.1 and can run these SQL Server.

What is the proper order for installation? Visual Studio and then SQL Server?  The other way around?  My current laptop has various versions of SQL Server (Express and 2008), Visual Studio (2012, 2013, Express), and Web Matrix.

You can install SQL server and Visual Studio side by side.

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:08 AM