Access 32 bit is preferred but if you migrate BE to SQL Server 2014 Express. Is 32 bit or 64 bit best choice? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Access 32 bit is preferred, but if you migrate the BE database to SQL Server 2014 Express.
    Is 32 bit or 64 bit the best choice?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm and Sigtuna GMT +1.00

Monday, April 11, 2016 5:43 PM

Answers

• Just as a quick note, you are free to use x64 or x32 bit versions of SQL server.

BOTH Access x32, and x64 will work with EITHER x32 or x64 versions of SQL server.

Since there is no advantage to using either version of Access, then you likely stick with the x32 version of Access.

As noted, x32 Access works with BOTH versions of SQL server (x32 or x64).

So from the Access point of view, you can and should stick with x32 Access.

For the SQL server version, you likely best to go with x64 versions, and this is especially the case if you’re running internet server, which these days should be the x64 bit version.

So stick with Access x32, but you are likely best to chose x64 SQL.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Remember, when SSMA installs, you see TWO versions. Unfortunately, the DEFAULT shortcut is for the x64 bit version of SSMA, and it will NOT work with Access x32.

SO MAKE SURE you choose this one:

The VERSION of SSMA you use MUST match your Access version. The target SQL can be x32 or x64 – it DOES NOT matter.

So any version of SSMA will migrate to BOTH SQL x32, or x64.

So target version of SQL does not matter.

Access x32/x64 will work with BOTH x32/x64 of SQL server.

SSMA x32/x64 will work with BOTH x32/x64 of SQL server.

However SSMA MUST MATCH the given version of Access ALWAYS!

So SSMA will fail is when you use the wrong version that does not match your Access version.

As above screen shot shows – make sure you launch the x32 version of SSMA.

Unfortantly, the DEFAULT shortcut to SSMA is the x64, and that 99% time will fail since 99% of the people have the x32 version of Access installed.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:44 PM

All replies

• The 64-bit version of Access doesn't really offer any advantages over the 32-bit version, but it does present several incompatibilities. So I'd stick with the 32-bit version.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Monday, April 11, 2016 7:21 PM
  • I agree with Hans. I don't think the world of Office as a suite has caught up with 64-bit yet.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, April 11, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Just as a quick note, you are free to use x64 or x32 bit versions of SQL server.

BOTH Access x32, and x64 will work with EITHER x32 or x64 versions of SQL server.

Since there is no advantage to using either version of Access, then you likely stick with the x32 version of Access.

As noted, x32 Access works with BOTH versions of SQL server (x32 or x64).

So from the Access point of view, you can and should stick with x32 Access.

For the SQL server version, you likely best to go with x64 versions, and this is especially the case if you’re running internet server, which these days should be the x64 bit version.

So stick with Access x32, but you are likely best to chose x64 SQL.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Thanks all

Is there a way to migrate an Access 32 bit database to a SQL server 64 bit database?
    I tried with SSMA but had errors.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Hi, ForssPeterNova

>> First of all I want to tell you that this forum is for developing issues with Access. Your issue is not related with developing.

>> so for better response related to your issue I moved this thread to SQL Migration Forum.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:48 AM
  • Thanks all

Is there a way to migrate an Access 32 bit database to a SQL server 64 bit database?
    I tried with SSMA but had errors.

Hi ForssPeterNova,

Based on your description, you fail to migrate Access database to SQL Server 2014 Express using SSMA, could you please help to post the full error message in ssma.log? The log can be found in %APPDATA%\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant\Access\log\ssma.log.

In addition, run both 64 bit SSMA and 32 bit SSMA, the default installed location of the two executables is: C:\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access\bin. Also you might need to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable on your system.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Remember, when SSMA installs, you see TWO versions. Unfortunately, the DEFAULT shortcut is for the x64 bit version of SSMA, and it will NOT work with Access x32.

SO MAKE SURE you choose this one:

The VERSION of SSMA you use MUST match your Access version. The target SQL can be x32 or x64 – it DOES NOT matter.

So any version of SSMA will migrate to BOTH SQL x32, or x64.

So target version of SQL does not matter.

Access x32/x64 will work with BOTH x32/x64 of SQL server.

SSMA x32/x64 will work with BOTH x32/x64 of SQL server.

However SSMA MUST MATCH the given version of Access ALWAYS!

So SSMA will fail is when you use the wrong version that does not match your Access version.

As above screen shot shows – make sure you launch the x32 version of SSMA.

Unfortantly, the DEFAULT shortcut to SSMA is the x64, and that 99% time will fail since 99% of the people have the x32 version of Access installed.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:44 PM
  • HI Lydia

Thanks for helping. Since I had lots of errors I uninstalled the SQL Server 64 bit and installed the 32 bit instead. Thereafter I found (Thanks Albert D. Kallal ) I was running the SSMA 64 bit and that was the source of my troubles.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:27 AM