none
What causes an invalid sync key or sync key mismatch? RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting an invalid sync key on my activesync client, but the synckey it is using itself is valild. I know that changing the device id will cause an invalid sync key, but that is also remaining the same. Is there anything else that could cause this? No other clients are using the same account/deviceid.
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• Hi mliecah, the reasons why, or how, a SyncKey value might become invalidated is beyond the scope of the protocol documentation. The primary reason for this is because it's a server side implementation detail. It's interesting that you are seeing the issue with two different server types, but it could be for completely different reasons. I would suggest reposting your question on the following forum.

Exchange Previous Versions - Mobility and ActiveSync

You should also examine the network traces to and from the device to verify whether or not there is some other type of corruption happening.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for this inquiry. One of our engineers will review this and follow-up.

thanks,

Edgar

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hi mliecah, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hi mliecah, can you please provide some additional information about your scenario? What is the sequence of commands that you are sending? Are you using the returned SyncKey again right away, or storing it to be reused later? Are you using the SyncKey for the same command type or a different one? Have you verified that the SyncKey is not being corrupted in some way? What is the server type that you are running this against?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Storing it to be reused later. One instance in particular where I saw this happening was, we would sync a folder, get a new synckey and store that, then resync that folder with that new sync key a few days later. We've seen this with exchange 2007 and m.google.com.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi mliecah, the reasons why, or how, a SyncKey value might become invalidated is beyond the scope of the protocol documentation. The primary reason for this is because it's a server side implementation detail. It's interesting that you are seeing the issue with two different server types, but it could be for completely different reasons. I would suggest reposting your question on the following forum.

Exchange Previous Versions - Mobility and ActiveSync

You should also examine the network traces to and from the device to verify whether or not there is some other type of corruption happening.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:32 PM