Windows.Networking.Vpn Documentation RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to write an App that implements a custom VPN client. I read that Windows 8.1 supports VPN plugins and there are some of those plugins shipped with Windows 8.1 (C:\Windows\vpnplugins) as well.

The documentation page for Windows.Networking.Vpn ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.vpn.aspx ) just says:

"For more information about the Windows.Networking.Vpn namespace, please work with your Microsoft Account Team representative."

But I don't have a Microsoft Account Team representative. How would I go about writing a VPN plugin? Is this documentation not available at all, or do I have to buy something else first?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:37 AM

Answers

• I am pretty sure that if you don't have a Microsoft Account Team Representive, access to restricted APIs will remain restricted. It's more about ensuring that the APIs are used properly and not maliciously than anything else.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Yes, I've heard this kind of feedback before, and I completely understand where you're coming from.  We are working towards how to make a better experience for developers like you wrt restricted APIs.  Unfortunately, it's not something that is going to happen overnight.  I'm hopeful.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 17, 2014 1:27 PM

All replies

• I am pretty sure that if you don't have a Microsoft Account Team Representive, access to restricted APIs will remain restricted. It's more about ensuring that the APIs are used properly and not maliciously than anything else.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Hi Matt,

first of all thanks for your insight. I really appreciate getting an answer in this regard, even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

That said, I'm not happy with the current state of things or the reasoning behind it. Other VPN Software like OpenVPN or the Cisco VPN Client do provide VPN functionality and have done so for years without the mentioned API. But I feel like implementing a VPN Client is a lot harder this way and not nearly as good in terms of user experience. I was really excited when I heard that Windows 8.1 supports custom VPN plugins in a talk somewhere on MSDN or TechNet.

I'm otherwise quite happy with the current Microsoft software stack and Microsofts general attitude towards "openness", but restricting access to API documentation in this manner seems somewhat anachronistic.

Regards,
    Marcel K.

Friday, January 17, 2014 2:24 AM
  • Yes, I've heard this kind of feedback before, and I completely understand where you're coming from.  We are working towards how to make a better experience for developers like you wrt restricted APIs.  Unfortunately, it's not something that is going to happen overnight.  I'm hopeful.

Friday, January 17, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi Matt

I am also facing the same issue where I need to build an application based on VPN. I understand that these APIs are kept restricted so I was wondering what is the process to have Microsoft team representative work with me? In the object browser I see all bunch of interfaces, classes and properties however, there is no documentation on how to use them. I am on a strict deadline and would like to work on those API .

Can I please get some help from you on this matter?

thanks

barkha shah

Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:24 PM