none
Questions regarding deploying Biztalk WCF service to higher environments. RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my situation:
    I have published BizTalk schema as WCF service in my local.

I need to move this to higher environments, is there any way I can move this to upper environments without again using WCF service publishing wizard in respective environments.
    Monday, March 23, 2015 7:35 PM

Answers

• One quick way I can think of apart from creating MSI(Which shall be the preferred way offcource) Copy the content of thenvirtual directory from C:/inetpub/wwwroot

Place it on the target server C:/inetpub/wwwroot.

Open IIS richt click on the newly included folder and pick create. Assign appropriate app pool catering to BizTalk application

Regards Pushpendra K Singh

• Marked as answer by SOS 111 Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:06 PM
  • You can export the Virtual Directory configuration into a .msi file along with any other resources.

That's how you should roll up any way so you really don't have to do much of anything.

• Marked as answer by SOS 111 Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:44 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 10:20 PM
  • There are actually two options to achieve this

1) Right click and Export MSI in Biztalk Admin Console-> Ensure if the Virtual Directory option is checked along with other assemblies.

2) The other option is to Right Click the application in InetMgr and browse for it's folder location. This will take you to the folder location of this application in inetpub. Go one level up to see your complete folder for your application and copy the same. You can take it folder to other environments and create application.

For ex- in UAT copy it to inetpub folder, later from InetMgr, Right click and create an application.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

1) You need to add the virtual directory to the BizTalk application as resource then select only System.BizTalk:WebDirectory option to export only the Virtual directory, installing this MSI then should create the Virtual Directory on destination machine, you might need to change the credentials used for the Application Pool in IIS.

2) You can also use the BTSTask from the command line to generate a MSI package.

There's more information, here:

BTSTASK ExportApp Command

How to Export an Application to an .Msi File

How to Add a Virtual Directory to an Application

3) You can use BTDF, Please refer this sample  Deploy webservice using BizTalk Deployment Framework blog post .

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

These are the more common options that I have used for this task:

• Include the WCF service inside the BizTalk deployment package: I don't recommend this approach because it doesn't allow almost any customization when deployed in the target environment.

• Using a custom tool: as Rachid Sikrosia said in the previous post, you can use BizTalk Deployment Framework o BizTalk powershell addin to do this task. https://psbiztalk.codeplex.com/

In my last Project, I have used a combination of both Web Setup Project and some powershell scripts to configure correctly the web site, application pool, enabled bindings, etc...

Best regards.

• Edited by ohawari Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:55 AM

All replies

• You can export the Virtual Directory configuration into a .msi file along with any other resources.

That's how you should roll up any way so you really don't have to do much of anything.

Monday, March 23, 2015 10:20 PM
  • There are actually two options to achieve this

1) Right click and Export MSI in Biztalk Admin Console-> Ensure if the Virtual Directory option is checked along with other assemblies.

2) The other option is to Right Click the application in InetMgr and browse for it's folder location. This will take you to the folder location of this application in inetpub. Go one level up to see your complete folder for your application and copy the same. You can take it folder to other environments and create application.

For ex- in UAT copy it to inetpub folder, later from InetMgr, Right click and create an application.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

1) You need to add the virtual directory to the BizTalk application as resource then select only System.BizTalk:WebDirectory option to export only the Virtual directory, installing this MSI then should create the Virtual Directory on destination machine, you might need to change the credentials used for the Application Pool in IIS.

2) You can also use the BTSTask from the command line to generate a MSI package.

There's more information, here:

BTSTASK ExportApp Command

How to Export an Application to an .Msi File

How to Add a Virtual Directory to an Application

3) You can use BTDF, Please refer this sample  Deploy webservice using BizTalk Deployment Framework blog post .

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

These are the more common options that I have used for this task:

• Include the WCF service inside the BizTalk deployment package: I don't recommend this approach because it doesn't allow almost any customization when deployed in the target environment.

• Using a custom tool: as Rachid Sikrosia said in the previous post, you can use BizTalk Deployment Framework o BizTalk powershell addin to do this task. https://psbiztalk.codeplex.com/

In my last Project, I have used a combination of both Web Setup Project and some powershell scripts to configure correctly the web site, application pool, enabled bindings, etc...

Best regards.

• Edited by ohawari Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:55 AM
  • One quick way I can think of apart from creating MSI(Which shall be the preferred way offcource) Copy the content of thenvirtual directory from C:/inetpub/wwwroot

Place it on the target server C:/inetpub/wwwroot.

Open IIS richt click on the newly included folder and pick create. Assign appropriate app pool catering to BizTalk application

Regards Pushpendra K Singh

• Marked as answer by SOS 111 Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:06 PM