Masthead image disappears in two pages of site. RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Its because your problem pages are down another level in the site's structure and you CSS, for the masthead image, say to go up one level (../pictures/formatting/masthead.jpg) when it requires two.  What you probably want to do is something like this: /pictures/formatting/masthead.jpg - tell it how to find your image from the top down and not from the folder up.

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Monday, June 14, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Not sure this is your problem, but it could very well be.  Comparing the code on the pages, I do find this difference -- on the page that works your file references contain "../", indicating your directory listed (like "css") is in your root directory.  That is a good thing.  On the pages that don't work the "../" is now "../../../", which I don't believe points to your correct directory.  Might try replacing those and see what happens. 

More learned users may post a better solution to this, but it is worth a try.

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Not sure this is your problem, but it could very well be.  Comparing the code on the pages, I do find this difference -- on the page that works your file references contain "../", indicating your directory listed (like "css") is in your root directory.  That is a good thing.  On the pages that don't work the "../" is now "../../../", which I don't believe points to your correct directory.  Might try replacing those and see what happens. 

More learned users may post a better solution to this, but it is worth a try.

Ok how did this happen? I used the Format->Attach DWT in the menu. Why would it add all those extra periods just on those two pages?

Edit: Actually, to fix it, I had to add the extra ../../ to the line where it mentioned the jpg files for the masthead. So I guess a better question is why did it only add the periods on some of the DWT paths but not others?

I am not quit sure what Veign means by "tell it how to find your image from the top down and not from the folder up". I tried removing the preceding periods and it still did not work.

thanks.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:04 AM
  • See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/154/tn_15427.html for the different types of links. Root relative is what Chris is talking about vs document relative.

Get Steve Easton's FPCleaner for EW 3 and run it. Then recalclate hyperlinks since you proabably have a corrupt cache of meta data.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:29 AM
  • See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/154/tn_15427.html  for the different types of links. Root relative is what Chris is talking about vs document relative.

Get Steve Easton's FPCleaner for EW 3 and run it. Then recalclate hyperlinks since you proabably have a corrupt cache of meta data.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com

I ran the FPCleaner and recalculated links but it still requires the extra periods. Also I don't understand how I can use the root relative system when my folder structure on my computer is different than on the server. I can put in the root path for the server, but then nothing works in Expression on my computer, since the links don't point to the right place.

I am assuming the periods are just telling the links where the destination is in relation to the current page. So now I don't understand how the different pages can all display the masthead image when I changed the DWT template for them all. The links should now only be correct for the two pages that are three layers in, but all the pages still display correctly even though their headers are now off in relation to the jpg files.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Ok, I guess the main issue here is that the paths to the two jpg files for the masthead are not updating when the DWT is applied to a page that is more than one level deep. Does this have something to do with the fact that the paths are part of a script? How can I get around this issue?

I did change the paths to a root relative path and the mastheads work on the web, however, they will not display on my local machine for the obvious reason that the image is not at that location. So I am mainly curious why only those two paths will not update with the metadata.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:48 AM
  • If the paths are scripted (Javascript, PHP, asp, asp.NET etc), Expression Web cannot update them. Normal practise is to use root relative paths for scripted paths where the same script is used in pages at differnt folder levels - these will usually display correctly when Previewed in browser if the development (or any other) server is used. The only exception to this is if the pages are in a subweb or subsite - then root relative links will fail since the "correct" root is outside the web.

Most links in my site are root relative and work perfectly in EW3/EW4 design pane (for images) and in the development server for previewing - they would fail in EW2 and earlier, but also fail when previewing pages in subwebs (as distinct to subfolders) in the development server.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Here's my question, after following this thread for a few days: You say "...are not updating when the DWT is applied to a page that is more than one level deep."?

You seem to be creating pages then applying a DWT to them, and that's just odd on a new site.

Why aren't you using the DWT to CREATE the pages? That's the normal flow of work. Once you do that, the metadata tracks any changes perfectly.

Good god! I hate this forum's ridiculous lack of predictability. It almost caught me again, but I had copied the post. Can anyone explain why on earth it would show me logged in up top yet tell me to "Login to vote as helpful" in the posts? How many years? How many updates? How many roads must a man walk down before this forum works right????????? (Frankie and Benji would say 42 roads, but what do they know?)

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:57 PM
  • "How many roads must a man walk down before this forum works right??"

Good question.  The latest "update" to the forums actually made things WORSE!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Here's my question, after following this thread for a few days: You say "...are not updating when the DWT is applied to a page that is more than one level deep."?

You seem to be creating pages then applying a DWT to them, and that's just odd on a new site.

Why aren't you using the DWT to CREATE the pages? That's the normal flow of work. Once you do that, the metadata tracks any changes perfectly.

I guess I was unaware of how to do this. I was only aware of how to apply a DWT, not start with one. Anyway, I did get it to work by using the root relative path like Ronx said only in the java script. I will just have to live without seeing the images in my development server preview since I am using EW2.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Ahhh, I thought so. From now on, make it easy on yourself, File, New, Page, Create from Dynamic Web Template, then click on the site's DWT and let EW do all the work. Presto.
    I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:21 AM