none
Error on Linq RRS feed

• Question

•  

Well, I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to ask this. The problem is that I'm just trying to learn LINQ, so I started a new application to make some tests and stuff, and it worked. Now I want to integrated in a real project that I'm working on, so I created the DBML file in the project folder and I keep getting this error

Error 1 Build failed due to validation errors in C:\Users\Carlo\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\xxx\xxx\DataClasses1.dbml.  Open the file and resolve the issues in the Error List, then try rebuilding the project. C:\Users\Carlo\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\xxx\xxx\DataClasses1.dbml 1 

And this is the the layout

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<ordesignerObjectsDiagram dslVersion="1.0.0.0" absoluteBounds="0, 0, 11, 8.5" name="DataClasses1">

<DataContextMoniker Name="/DataClasses1DataContext" />

<nestedChildShapes>

<classShape Id="1f9bb82e-3409-4d81-828d-ecfc08a9ded3" absoluteBounds="0.75, 1.5, 2, 2.3478011067708335">

<DataClassMoniker Name="/DataClasses1DataContext/Store" />

<nestedChildShapes>

<elementListCompartment Id="64113220-9c41-4ece-8f07-062813d5de31" absoluteBounds="0.76500000000000012, 1.96, 1.9700000000000002, 1.7878011067708335" name="DataPropertiesCompartment" titleTextColor="Black" itemTextColor="Black" />

</nestedChildShapes>

</classShape>

</nestedChildShapes>

</ordesignerObjectsDiagram>

So, I was reading over the internet and I read something about changing the encoding property from utf-16 to utf-8, but mine is already generated like that, I tried utf-16 too and it didn't work, so I don't really know what's going on here. Any help?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:53 PM

Answers

• Can you try quitting Visual Studio and running:

devenv /resetskippkgs

At the command line then re-starting Visual Studio and trying to reload your project and let us know if that solves the error.

Thanks,

[)amien

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

• Error 1 Build failed due to validation errors in C:\Users\Carlo\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\xxx\xxx\DataClasses1.dbml.  Open the file and resolve the issues in the Error List, then try rebuilding the project. C:\Users\Carlo\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\xxx\xxx\DataClasses1.dbml 1 

What are the issues in the Error List?

Thanks,

--Samir

Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:21 PM
  • It doesn't say, that's everything I get on the Error List. BTW, thanks for your interest in helping out.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:23 PM
  • A few questions to help track down the issue if you are still experiencing it:

1. Did you have beta version of Visual Studio 2008 installed previously?
    2. What steps do you need to do to reproduce?
    3. What locale and version of Windows are you using?

Thanks,

[)amien

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Hi man thx for the help, here are the answers:

1. No, the computer was brand new when I installed the full VS2008

2. I don't think there's a good way for me to figure that out. I tried incorporating it on an already under development project, when I try using it on a new project it DOES work.

3. I don't know what you mean about locale, but I'm using windows vista home premium.

Thanks again.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:18 AM
  • I would suggest moving the code to a new project to avoid the error as the quickest and easiest course of action.

[)amien
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:00 AM
  • 1. Can you access this Store [table / view] using anything else like SqlDataSource? make sure it works.

2. Ensure that using System.Data.Linq; and its included in the reference section

3. .dbml is based on xsd scema. Check out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb399400.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb882675.aspx

a test would be to create a fresh .dbml file in a new project and drop a table on .dbml file. Try building your project. It should work if you have LINQ is installed on the machine / with VSS 2008.

Let us know the end result

all the best!

abhi

Friday, June 13, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Can you try quitting Visual Studio and running:

devenv /resetskippkgs

At the command line then re-starting Visual Studio and trying to reload your project and let us know if that solves the error.

Thanks,

[)amien

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:38 PM