Device Profile Trading RRS feed

• Question

• User-1361599924 posted

Hi all,

My project is working to develop an application that supports various popular mobile phones. As part of the effort, I've profiled the following mobile phones;

Nokia 6810,
    SonyEricsson P910i,
    Motorola-E1000,
    SAMSUNG D500,
    SIE-CX65,
    Nokia 6630,
    Nokia 6680,
    SonyEricsson V800,
    XDA II,
    Palm cct1

I'm really interested in getting hold of more recent device profiles. Does anyone out there have any for general posting or trade? Any device thats come out after Device Update 4 would be of interest.

Anyone know of a trading site for device profiles?

Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:26 AM

All replies

• User-95607119 posted
    If you are really interested having very good devices support with global scope then check out open source project called WURFL. You can find it here: http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/. Also check out ASP.NET Mobile FAQ in my blog to get idea about how to create your own device capabilities classes.
    Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:39 PM
  • User-1361599924 posted
    OK, I see the device profile file in WURFL, but it's not in the right schema for use by ASP.NET. Have you ever used it?
    If so, do you have an XSLT, or some parser code to get it into the right schema for ASP.NET device profiles??

Does anyone have device profiles for exchanging? If we can share device profiles on this forum, it means our individual projects don't have to lay hands on all the devices we have to support!
    Friday, May 27, 2005 5:42 AM
  • User-95607119 posted
    OK, I see the device profile file in WURFL, but it's not in the right schema for use by ASP.NET. Have you ever used it?
    If so, do you have an XSLT, or some parser code to get it into the right schema for ASP.NET device profiles??

Does anyone have device profiles for exchanging? If we can share device profiles on this forum, it means our individual projects don't have to lay hands on all the devices we have to support!

Well..... you are very lazy guy, I think. There are also sample code for .NET in WURFL web site. Also you can read from my blog mobile FAQ about how to create your own device capabilities class. Combining these two things you can create very good framework for your mobile website.
    Saturday, May 28, 2005 6:23 AM
  • User-1361599924 posted
    Many thanks for your opinion Qnnn. Alas, your suggestion, and especially your blog do not meet my requirements or answer my question.

Having looked at the schema for both WURFL and Device profiles, I've decided an XSLT is not the best approach to create ASP.NET friendly device profiles. I will be adapting the .NET sample code from WURFL to build a device profile file, and I'm currently working on the logic to best map the properties they provide to the typical properties of an ASP.NET device profile. Many thanks for trying to help.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:11 AM
  • User-95607119 posted

There are many properties in WURFL that doesn't exist in ASP.NET version of profiles. You are implementing only a converter, not a framework. And this kind of converter you can create using XSLT as it is more close to XML. No need to write .NET code for that.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:28 AM