Filtering Records Displayed in a Joining Table RRS feed

• Question

• User2074931137 posted

Question Illustrated in a PDF                   <- Best representation of project / question

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Assignments' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\_Data\MVC\_fvm\00. fvm\fvm\fvm\Controllers\Assignment1Controller.cs 549 24 fvm

IQueryable<Assignments> assignments = from s in db.Assignments
                                    where Assignment.AssignmentContact != Contact.ContactDesignator1String
                                          || Assignment.AssignmentRoute != Route.RouteDesignatorString
                                          || Assignment.AssignmentVehicle != Resource.ResourceDesignatorString 
                                             select s;

assignments.Include(a => a.Calendar)
                    .Include(a => a.Charter)
                    .Include(a => a.Contact)
                    .Include(a => a.HistoryEmployee)
                    .Include(a => a.HistoryResource)
                    .Include(a => a.Resource)
                    .Include(a => a.ResourceDirection)
                    .Include(a => a.ResourceDocument)
                    .Include(a => a.ResourceOffice)
                    .Include(a => a.Route);

I got this far with a great deal of help.  Can anyone offer any further insight into how I might make this work?

Friday, October 26, 2018 3:00 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

It is my fault for you going down this path... However, this code is just incorrect.

IQueryable<Assignments> assignments = from s in db.Assignments
                                    where Assignment.AssignmentContact != Contact.ContactDesignator1String
                                          || Assignment.AssignmentRoute != Route.RouteDesignatorString
                                          || Assignment.AssignmentVehicle != Resource.ResourceDesignatorString 
                                             select s;

You need to rethink the approach.

Friday, October 26, 2018 3:06 PM
  • User2074931137 posted

Thank you so much for the effort.

I don't have a lot of options for a different approach with my limited coding ability / experience (I'm working at an entry level modifying the intro tutorial).

I did want to provide an accurate representation of the question and code (which I provided at the link below).

Question Illustrated in a PDF                   <- Best representation of project / question

From my limited ability / understanding: the fields that need to be compared are already in the joining table ("Assignment") controller and index view.  I don't understand why they can't be used to filter the records displayed (again, my ability / understanding of this is limited).

Again, I really appreciate all the effort you've made.

Friday, October 26, 2018 3:22 PM
  • User2074931137 posted

Note: The question in this question string remains unanswered

Would it make any difference if I have the comparison properties for Route, Resource, and Contact in the same tables - Route, Resource, and Contact (not in the joining (“Assignments”) table?

e.g.

where route.RouteDesignatorString = ! route.RouteComparison

|| resource.ResourceDesignatoString = ! resource.ResourceComparison

|| contact.ContactDesignatorString = ! contact.ContactComparison

Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:44 AM
  • User1520731567 posted

Hi 3v3rhart,

As I can see in your code, I didn't see any relationships between the comparison properties which from Route, Resource, and Contact and properties from joining (“Assignments”) table.

I think you could change your model design.Please refer to:

http://www.entityframeworktutorial.net/code-first/configure-one-to-many-relationship-in-code-first.aspx

Best Regards.

Yuki Tao

Monday, October 29, 2018 3:18 AM
  • User2074931137 posted

<br>
    There is a many to many relationship between Route, Resource, and Contact; Assignment is the joining table.
    Monday, October 29, 2018 12:33 PM
  • User1520731567 posted

Hi 3v3rhart,

3v3rhart

There is a many to many relationship between Route, Resource, and Contact; Assignment is the joining table.

The link I post also has many to many:

http://www.entityframeworktutorial.net/code-first/configure-many-to-many-relationship-in-code-first.aspx

or refer to:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/702890/MVC-Entity-Framework-and-Many-to-Many-Relation

Best Regards.

Yuki Tao

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 1:46 AM
  • User2074931137 posted

Note: The question in this question string remains unanswered

Would it make any difference if I have the comparison properties for Route, Resource, and Contact in the same tables - Route, Resource, and Contact (not in the joining (“Assignments”) table?

e.g.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:47 PM