Access Modifier error. RRS feed

• Question

• User1421620300 posted

This is the controller code for a .svc file. It is not apparent as to why i receive the following error! I believe that it states their is something wrong with type or format of public access modifier for this version state supposedly. 

Link: https://ibb.co/znTV0dH

[OperationContract]
    [WebInvoke(ResponseFormat = WebMessageFormat.Json, BodyStyle = WebMessageBodyStyle.Bare,
    UriTemplate = "Fight/{Id1}/{Id2}", Method = "GET")]

public string Fight(string Id1, string Id2)  //error code! (public) 
    {
    SuperHero hero1 = Data.SuperHeroes.Find(hero => hero.Id == int.Parse(Id1));
    SuperHero hero2 = Data.SuperHeroes.Find(hero => hero.Id == int.Parse(Id2));

if (hero1.Combat > hero2.Combat)
    {
    return $"{hero1.HeroName} wins!";
    }

if (hero2.Combat > hero1.Combat)
    {
    return $"{hero2.HeroName} wins!";
    }
    return "its a tie!";

}
    }
    }

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error CS0106 The modifier 'public' is not valid for this item SuperHeroDB C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\MyProjects\SuperHeroDB\SuperHeroDB\Service\SuperHeroService.svc.cs 140 Active
    Error CS8652 The feature 'local function attributes' is currently in Preview and *unsupported*. To use Preview features, use the 'preview' language version.

SuperHeroDB C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\MyProjects\SuperHeroDB\SuperHeroDB\Service\SuperHeroService.svc.cs 136 Active

Monday, May 4, 2020 7:34 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

You did not share all the relevant code so I'm guessing.  Operational contracts are Interfaces which do not have access modifiers or a body of code.  The implementation of the Interface has these features.  An Operation contract has the following pattern and within an Interface

[ServiceContract]
    public interface IService1
    {
        [OperationContract]
        string Fight(string Id1, string Id2);
    }

The implantation of the Interface has method body.

[WebInvoke(ResponseFormat = WebMessageFormat.Json, BodyStyle = WebMessageBodyStyle.Bare, UriTemplate = "Fight/{Id1}/{Id2}", Method = "GET")]
    public string Fight(string Id1, string Id2)  //error code! (public) 
    {

{
        }

{
        }
        return "its a tie!";
    } 

You've been on these forum for a long time.... Please use the "Insert/Edit Code samples" button when posting code on the forms.  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2020 7:58 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

You did not share all the relevant code so I'm guessing.  Operational contracts are Interfaces which do not have access modifiers or a body of code.  The implementation of the Interface has these features.  An Operation contract has the following pattern and within an Interface

[ServiceContract]
    public interface IService1
    {
        [OperationContract]
        string Fight(string Id1, string Id2);
    }

The implantation of the Interface has method body.

[WebInvoke(ResponseFormat = WebMessageFormat.Json, BodyStyle = WebMessageBodyStyle.Bare, UriTemplate = "Fight/{Id1}/{Id2}", Method = "GET")]
    public string Fight(string Id1, string Id2)  //error code! (public) 
    {

{
        }

{
        }
        return "its a tie!";
    } 

You've been on these forum for a long time.... Please use the "Insert/Edit Code samples" button when posting code on the forms.  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2020 7:58 PM
  • User1421620300 posted

I corrected error mgebhard, it was missing brackets in Controller class.. It was not apparent to me as i am following tutorial.

Friday, May 8, 2020 12:46 AM