none
How to get a toast notification for Job status event from printing sub-system? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my V4 Driver (for my WSD Device), i have added couple of events (Printer.Status as well as Job.Status) in Events.xml file.

When WSD Device sends printer status element (State and StateReason=DOOR OPEN) back to control point(CP), print sub-system updates "PQ" status as DOOR OPEN as soon as it receives, but it will display 'toast' notification only when user submits a print job.

When i send a job status element, i don't get any 'toast' notification, i have put a wireshark on client side(CP) and checked soap packets, client has received the job status element and corresponding Query and Trigger also set in the events.xml file. Job status in the PQ is not changed.

Why 'toast' notification is not displayed to the user by the print system? 

Thanks

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:05 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I follow your scenario. Are you saying you want to pop a toast for a status like "Job printed"? If so, that's not a supported scenario. The notifications scenario is very much limited to handling device status issues and is intended to be used only when user intervention is required.
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 2:57 AM
  • My scenario is that user submits a secure print job, device sends back job status with jobstateReasons as 'JobPasswordWait' (The Job is waiting at the device for the User to input a password), expectation is that windows print system will display 'toast' notification for the job, user will walk to the device and input the password.

Actual result is user is not getting any toast notification (or) job status in the pq is not changed.

As long as 'event-trigger' is specified in the events.xml file, toast will be displayed, is it a correct understanding?, Even job status is not changed in PQ, i have verified jobid which is right.

Following is the content of the events.xml in my driver:

<DriverEvents xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2011/08/printing/driverevents" schemaVersion="4.0">
      <DriverEvent eventId="{A04CF0FC-1CEB-4C62-B967-6F0AE5C5F81E}" xmlns="">
        <Transport>USB</Transport>
        <Transport>WSD</Transport>
        <Query>\Job.Status</Query>
        <Trigger result="\Job.Status.Summary:StateReason" comparison="EqualTo" value="JobPasswordWait">
          <StandardMessage resourceId="130" />
        </Trigger>
      </DriverEvent>
      <DriverEvent eventId="{A04CF0FC-1CEB-4C62-B967-6F0AE5C5F81E}" xmlns="">
        <Transport>USB</Transport>
        <Transport>WSD</Transport>
        <Query>\Printer.Status</Query>
        <Trigger result="\Printer.Status.Summary:StateReason" comparison="EqualTo" value="AttentionRequired">
          <StandardMessage resourceId="1006" />
        </Trigger>
        <Trigger result="\Printer.Status.Summary:StateReason" comparison="EqualTo" value="DoorOpen">
          <StandardMessage resourceId="1006" />
        </Trigger>
      </DriverEvent>
    </DriverEvents>

For testing, i have tried 'printer status' event, printer status in the PQ is changed, but toast will be displayed for following print jobs, it is an accepted behavior.

Thanks

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hi Justin,

I would like to know whether <Query>\Job.Status</Query> is a valid element in Events.xml file.

eventId is a just unique id, right ? , not predefined id or anything?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:07 PM