Does using references require attribution? RRS feed

• Question

• I do not know if it's the right category, I'm sorry.

I use vb.net and I would like to know when using references, such as "Imports Microsoft.Win32" or "Imports Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey" or any other, is it necessary to add an extra license of attribution?.

Since .net is open source and I want to know if by making a reference I have to attribute to its MIT license or something like that. Thanks :)

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:13 PM

Answers

• Anything included with the installation of Visual Studio does not require special attribution.  If you download and use a reference assembly from a 3rd party (including NuGet packages), you may be subject to other licensing restrictions or requirements.  In those cases there should always be a license.txt file distributed with the DLL that tell you want you can and cannot do, or must do when you publish.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by TamaraMtz Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:24 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:19 PM

All replies

• Anything included with the installation of Visual Studio does not require special attribution.  If you download and use a reference assembly from a 3rd party (including NuGet packages), you may be subject to other licensing restrictions or requirements.  In those cases there should always be a license.txt file distributed with the DLL that tell you want you can and cannot do, or must do when you publish.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by TamaraMtz Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:24 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:19 PM
  • Thank you very much, I imagined that but I wanted to be sure. :D
    • Edited by TamaraMtz Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:24 PM