none
I have NO clue what I am doing in Expression Web 4. HELP! Just a simple page to page transition obviously toggled by buttons. RRS feed

• Question

• Although I have had much helpful input on previous questions of mine, I am still struggling relentlessly trying to input the world time zone clocks/code for them into Microsoft Expression Web 4. This is the code I am referring to...

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/wpf_worldclocks.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.timezone.aspx

My design on Expression Web 4 has one jpg image for the main/home page so far and all I want to do with the information and data from the link above is get the clocks to appear on the jpg image as individual buttons which proceed to next page when clicked; (the next page will be a music player where anyone can download/buy songs from various genres).

It is my immense desire to have this basic function implemented between the pages as a foundation of my design, I need it, I've had this project brainstorming in my head and sketched upon graph paper for too long now with no online progress that I am seriously considering purchasing Microsoft Expression Web 4 for Dummies (if it has been successfully comprhended).

Any help at all from actual experience to personally advised input WILL be very much obliging and quite appreciated in a lustful manner; micro management in designing this website is not frowned upon. Further more I will be educating myself in the advancement of understanding web design as much as possible so my eyes are not the only thing looking at what your responses may entail.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:10 AM

Answers

• Expression Web is a Web development application, not a WPF IDE. If you want to work with XAML, try Expression Blend and Visual Studio. Frankly, I see no sense whatsoever in your description of what you're trying to accomplish, but that is neither here nor there. 

The point is that to do what you seem to want to do, you will have to learn HTML and CSS to use EW effectively. There are no options, and no shortcuts. No one here is going to "micromanage" your site (translated: do your development work for you). 

See the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web to see what you must learn to use EW, and to attain your objective, and get out of your head the idea that anyone is going to do this for you, absent a preliminary bid and acceptance of terms.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:08 AM
  • You are looking at asp.net and C# references that expect you to be using Visual Studio.  You'd only do this in EW if you were very comfortable coding it all by hand, with no assistance from EW, and only if it didn't need to be built/compiled (EW can't do that).  Click on the "Browse Code" tab in your first link.  It's all there for you.  I'm not sure what you are expecting us to tell you, other than to point out that it's a lot of code and hardly trivial.  You'll see the page is tagged as "Visual Studio" and "Intermediate".

It would be entirely up to you to figure out how to add a link or on_click event to the displayed clocks to go to different pages, once you understand all the code, which would be best done using msdn's references and the asp.net forum.

Adding:  Your title is rather disconnected from your post.  "A simple page to page transition toggled by buttons" is simply: links to the other pages, styled however you want or attached to an image.  I'm not sure why you feel the need for a complicated clock implementation to do that, which takes the "simple" out of it.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:50 AM
  • Well if you are early in the learning stage, why try hard things before easier things?

If you want images for your links to other pages, you could get started by just using simple images as opposed to those clocks which look like a lot of complication to incorporate. Then spend your time on getting your site to function. Once your site is doing the things you want it to do, you can always go back and replace the images you used at the beginning with clocks (unless you have had a better idea in between).

Also, your post seemed to indicate that your home page was just an image? If so, you might consider not doing that -- better to have some meaningful commentary concerning what your site ia about if you want search engines to display a link to your site when someone is searching for the kind of thing you are offering.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:27 PM

All replies

• Expression Web is a Web development application, not a WPF IDE. If you want to work with XAML, try Expression Blend and Visual Studio. Frankly, I see no sense whatsoever in your description of what you're trying to accomplish, but that is neither here nor there. 

The point is that to do what you seem to want to do, you will have to learn HTML and CSS to use EW effectively. There are no options, and no shortcuts. No one here is going to "micromanage" your site (translated: do your development work for you). 

See the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web to see what you must learn to use EW, and to attain your objective, and get out of your head the idea that anyone is going to do this for you, absent a preliminary bid and acceptance of terms.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:08 AM
  • You are looking at asp.net and C# references that expect you to be using Visual Studio.  You'd only do this in EW if you were very comfortable coding it all by hand, with no assistance from EW, and only if it didn't need to be built/compiled (EW can't do that).  Click on the "Browse Code" tab in your first link.  It's all there for you.  I'm not sure what you are expecting us to tell you, other than to point out that it's a lot of code and hardly trivial.  You'll see the page is tagged as "Visual Studio" and "Intermediate".

It would be entirely up to you to figure out how to add a link or on_click event to the displayed clocks to go to different pages, once you understand all the code, which would be best done using msdn's references and the asp.net forum.

Adding:  Your title is rather disconnected from your post.  "A simple page to page transition toggled by buttons" is simply: links to the other pages, styled however you want or attached to an image.  I'm not sure why you feel the need for a complicated clock implementation to do that, which takes the "simple" out of it.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:50 AM
  • Well if you are early in the learning stage, why try hard things before easier things?

If you want images for your links to other pages, you could get started by just using simple images as opposed to those clocks which look like a lot of complication to incorporate. Then spend your time on getting your site to function. Once your site is doing the things you want it to do, you can always go back and replace the images you used at the beginning with clocks (unless you have had a better idea in between).

Also, your post seemed to indicate that your home page was just an image? If so, you might consider not doing that -- better to have some meaningful commentary concerning what your site ia about if you want search engines to display a link to your site when someone is searching for the kind of thing you are offering.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:27 PM
  • You should consider making your project in Blend/Silverlight and then inserting that into your page.

You could start by creating UserControls for the individual clocks.  There is a video here that could get you started and if you serch the "Learn" section of this site for UserControls there are some very good white pages or walk throughs.

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/ee426919

The .toolbox videos are great as well to get you comfortable using Blend.  http://www.microsoft.com/design/toolbox/  I myself just started these and I'm impressed so far.  I think you'd get alot out of them.

I told you once before this sounds like a fun project so don't get discouraged by anyones comments here.

You should also consider moving back to the Blend forums where the people there are very encouraging and helpful when it comes to helping you realize your goal.

~Christine

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Christine,

We are encouraging him to move his questions to the Blend forum because they aren't Expression Web related. However, if the OP is going to work on regular websites he should spend a little time with the learning resources and the prerequisites post in the FAQ.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:03 PM
  • I told you once before this sounds like a fun project so don't get discouraged by anyones comments here.

You should also consider moving back to the Blend forums where the people there are very encouraging and helpful when it comes to helping you realize your goal.

~Christine

No one is trying to discourage the OP, although I'll admit we've had a bit of difficulty understanding what he wants to do, and why, as the thread so far indicates. What we have tried to do is make it clear to him that no matter how he implements his "simple page to page transition," in order to integrate it into an actual Web page using Expression Web, he will have to learn HTML and CSS. And that, Christine, is a fact, not a discouragement, unless the OP was under the mistaken impression that EW is a WYSIWYG, drag and drop dev environment, which it most assuredly is not, and which is an impression of which an unfortunate number of new users must be disabused.

As for returning the discussion to the Blend forum, we couldn't agree more. In fact, I will commend to you the very first statement in the very first response to the OP:

Expression Web is a Web development application, not a WPF IDE. If you want to work with XAML, try Expression Blend and Visual Studio.

I believe that it would be difficult to make that any clearer or less ambiguous, n'est-ce pas?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:03 PM
  • First of all let me apologize, Scott and Cheryl.  I should not have implied that the web community is not helpful.  Y'all are and I was wrong to suggest you weren't. 

I was searching this forum this week for an answer to one of my questions and I was left with the feeling that y'all can sometimes be ... harsh, I guess is the correct word.  I know as a newcomer it makes me a little reluctant to ask a question.

However, the smiles are a nice touch and soften your image up a bit. 

I'd encourage more frequent use of them. :D

~Christine

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Thank you for the clarifications paladyn; already, from your message, I have gained a better starting point for the proper program.

I must and will also thank you for your bold words, a necessary factor in keeping the forum professional and clearly coherent. It helps to maintian the balance of understanding between the questions and answers among the users.

I shall peep the prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web and begin designing with my own progressions before I ask for help again on my work related responsibilities. I have made it my duty that the next questions which may arise from developing my design will be sentenced with conceptual clairvoyance in respect to what you do on this website.

WAS HELPFUL

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:37 PM
  • And thank you KathyW2 for the known guidence to reinforce direction in my remedial path of trying to learn the ropes without a degree.

So this really brings a whole new meaning to "I better do my research"! and I will. Your route is tremendous advice I won't thank you twice however I might add that I only expected what you have replied and it is exactly what I needed.

WAS HELPFUL

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Thank you ClarkNK for the timely suggestion, to answer your beginning question my choices of web design developement strains from my immediate brainstorm and all my questions that have proceeded were simply limited imitations of that acheivable goal. Hard or easy it simply is; I am now encountering the difficulties of the challenge, yet again thank you for your incentive intentions.

WAS HELPFUL

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Christine L. I acted on your suggested consideration, tried installation and "error" occured when clicking run (I'm going to guess this was because I am a guest on a locked administrated pc).

And once again thank you incredibly for your credible links to educational resources. I haven't checked them out yet, I will, and I already know they will entail mounts of useful information to study and practice in the developement of my design.

And also thank you sincerely for prudent fascilitation in human online relations by sticking up for me despite my desperate and amateurish post with needy encroaching questions. That's courageous character and that recognition goes deep ways that I will never remember lightly upon; even if it is online, that act was gracious and pure initiative. Very friendly and now I feel the same friendship.

And I was unaware that these territorial forums are turfed into seperate subjects of entitled categories; I'll stay on the Blend forum next time I need encouragement when my questions travel. But this online endeavor has showed me that you've found me and proved to post abundent encouragement even if my questions were unrelated to the certain program domains.

WAS VERY HELPFUL

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:43 PM