none
Question on VSTO Excel 2013 Add-In RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create a VSTO Excel 2013 Add-In in visual studio as we need to use the Power Pivot Object Model(OM).

Also we have to support the users on office 2010 and not enable the power pivot features.

Question: If I create an VSTO Excel 2013 Add-In, Would it be able to load and work fine on systems with only office 2010 ?. I would check in the code base which version of excel the client is on and use the Power Pivot Object Model only if the client is on office 2013.

This would reduce our work and not have multiple install versions of the same add-in(one for 2013 and one for 2010).

Thanks,

Anand.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Anand,

As far as I know, unless using the new features of Excel 2013, Excel Add-in can both be loaded and worked fine in Office 2013 and Office 2010.

For more information, please refer to Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office.

There is no especial document points to PivotTable. Also, you can make a single add-in which uses PivotTable Object, then deploy to Office 2010 and Office 2013 to check.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:34 AM
  • Hello Anand,

I would recommend creating a VSTO based add-in for Office 2010. Thus, you will be sure that you don't use features introduced with Office 2013 and won't get any exception at runtime in Office 2010. If you need to use new features you can detect the Office version  at runtime and get access to the required properties or methods via late binding (Type.InvokeMember).

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Anand,

As far as I know, unless using the new features of Excel 2013, Excel Add-in can both be loaded and worked fine in Office 2013 and Office 2010.

For more information, please refer to Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office.

There is no especial document points to PivotTable. Also, you can make a single add-in which uses PivotTable Object, then deploy to Office 2010 and Office 2013 to check.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:34 AM
  • Hello Anand,

I would recommend creating a VSTO based add-in for Office 2010. Thus, you will be sure that you don't use features introduced with Office 2013 and won't get any exception at runtime in Office 2010. If you need to use new features you can detect the Office version  at runtime and get access to the required properties or methods via late binding (Type.InvokeMember).

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:40 PM