none
Mobile App - multiple levels of authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Using VS 2015 and Xamarin. I am a mobile app development beginner and just getting used to Azure.

My app should allow permitted users to add, edit and delete data stored in multiple sql server tables.

The desktop and mobile app design I have in mind requires multiple 'levels' of permissions, as follows:

Admins (app developers, app support) get to add, edit and change almost anything.

Members get to create, edit and delete an account.

Users get to create, edit and delete a list of items within the member's account ... a gift list.

Viewers are permitted to view the User's gift list.

So, four levels of authentication plus web site visitors/app users who use the app to access services that don't require authentication.

I am somewhat familiar with asp.net web site roles and permissions. I have never needed to deal with Active Directory. I am familiar with SQL Server security.

My research thus far has led me to believe that configuring the Active Directory feature within my Azure portal may get me where I want to go. Perhaps that's the way I should head but I'm not altogether convinced about that at this point.

Please help me get going in the right direction. All four levels of permissions will call on SQL Server data. Should I be building the app and handling security/permissions within the app code (assuming that I can do that) or will I need to figure out how Azure Active Directory and Roles and Permissions can help me ... or a combination.

What I read online about Roles and Permissions led me to believe it only related to permissions for the folks working on the Azure app development.

Thanks for helping!

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:15 AM

All replies

• I suggest reading through the first three chapters of my book at http://aka.ms/zumobook - this will likely answer all your questions, including

- how to configure Azure Active Directory

- How to do authorization on a per-user or group level

- How to do basic CRUD with offline sync with your Xamarin app

Let me know if you still have questions after reading those three chapters.

• Proposed as answer by Swikruti Bose Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:41 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 6:47 PM