none
issue with dcomconfig identity set to this user RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web application deployed in IIS 6.Through this application we are accessing the ms word.

in dcomconfig the identity is set to a specific user(Ex username: xyz, password: ***** and domain this computer)  for ms word. But the issue is that the application is unable to access the ms word if xyz user is not looged in to the server.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hello SucharitaD,

Please take a look at the Considerations for server-side Automation of Office article which states the following:

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

As you may see, the way you are trying to automate Word is not recommended and not supported.

Microsoft strongly recommends a number of alternatives that do not require Office to be installed server-side, and that can perform most common tasks more efficiently and more quickly than Automation. 

Office 2007 supports new Open XML file   formats that let developers create, edit, read, and transform file content on   the server side. These file formats use the System.IO.Package.IO namespace in the Microsoft .NET 3.x Framework to edit Office files without using the Office client applications themselves. This is the recommended and supported method for handling changes to Office files from a service.

You can read about the Open XML SDK in MSDN.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hello SucharitaD,

Please take a look at the Considerations for server-side Automation of Office article which states the following:

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

As you may see, the way you are trying to automate Word is not recommended and not supported.

Microsoft strongly recommends a number of alternatives that do not require Office to be installed server-side, and that can perform most common tasks more efficiently and more quickly than Automation. 

Office 2007 supports new Open XML file   formats that let developers create, edit, read, and transform file content on   the server side. These file formats use the System.IO.Package.IO namespace in the Microsoft .NET 3.x Framework to edit Office files without using the Office client applications themselves. This is the recommended and supported method for handling changes to Office files from a service.

You can read about the Open XML SDK in MSDN.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:56 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

but I have the same code deployed in two diff servers. for one server m not facing any issue for opening the word documnet through the application even if there are no active user session present in the server.

but for the another server we are facing the isssue. So I suspecting that it might be some setting difference in Windows XP.

Both of the servers are Microsoft Windows server 2003, enterprise edition, service pack2.

through the code we are trying to open word documnet from one folder of the server.

the error m getting is as below:

'Word experienced an error trying to open the file'

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Please take a look at the article below:

How to resolve the problem "Word experienced an error trying to open the file" when opening a Word 2007/2010 file (Easy Fix Article)

Hope this helps.

In addition, as Eugene mentioned, I would recommend you to use OpenXML SDK for developing on server-side.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 7, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I m getting this exception through code. the wod document is getting generated from the code and m getting this issue only when there is no active session present in the server. But in the different server I am not getting the issue even if there is no active session present in the server.

Friday, February 7, 2014 12:01 PM